Neutralization by Acid-Base Titration Problems HELP

• Thread starter calculus_love
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary: This is due to the fact that the stronger solution will react with more of the molecules in the weaker solution.
calculus_love
Neutralization by Acid-Base Titration Problems !HELP!

Hey guys, could you please take a look at my work and let me know if I did it correctly or not? I'm not sure if I did, so if I did anything wrong I'd really appreciate if you could explain! Thanks!

1. A sample of solid potassium hydroxide, KOH, weighing 15.0 grams is dissolved in 75.0 mL of deionized water to make a solution. What volume in mL of 0.235 M sulfuric acid solution will neutralize this solution? (Hint: write a balanced chemical equation first.)
2KOH(aq) + H2SO4(aq) = K2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)

15.0g KOH × (1 mol KOH / 56.11g KOH) × (1 mol H2SO4 / 2 mol KOH) × (1 L H2SO4(aq)/0.235 mol H2SO4) × (1 mL / 10^-3 L) = 568 L

2. What volume in milliliters of 0.500 M HNO3 is required to neutralize 40.00 milliliters of a 0.200 M NaOH solution?
NaOH(aq) + HNO3(aq) = NaNO3(aq) + H2O(l)

40.00mL NaOH(aq) × (10^-3 L / 1 mL) × (0.200 mol NaOH / 1 L NaOH(aq)) × (1 mol HNO3 / 1 mol NaOH) × (1 L HNO3(aq) / 0.500 mol HNO3) × (1 mL / 10^-3 L) = 240 mL

3. How many grams of calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2 are required to neutralize 47.76 milliliters of 0.750 M H2SO4 solution?
Ca(OH)2(aq) + H2SO4(aq) = CaSO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)

47.76 mL H2SO4(aq) × (10^-3 L / 1 mL) × (0.750 mol H2SO4 / 1 L H2SO4(aq)) × (1 mol Ca(OH)2 / 1 mol H2SO4) × (74.10g Ca(OH)2 / 1 mol Ca(OH)2) = 2.65 g

Physics news on Phys.org

calculus_love said:
Hey guys, could you please take a look at my work and let me know if I did it correctly or not? I'm not sure if I did, so if I did anything wrong I'd really appreciate if you could explain! Thanks!

1. A sample of solid potassium hydroxide, KOH, weighing 15.0 grams is dissolved in 75.0 mL of deionized water to make a solution. What volume in mL of 0.235 M sulfuric acid solution will neutralize this solution? (Hint: write a balanced chemical equation first.)
2KOH(aq) + H2SO4(aq) = K2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)

15.0g KOH × (1 mol KOH / 56.11g KOH) × (1 mol H2SO4 / 2 mol KOH) × (1 L H2SO4(aq)/0.235 mol H2SO4) × (1 mL / 10^-3 L) = 568 L

Units are wrong.
2. What volume in milliliters of 0.500 M HNO3 is required to neutralize 40.00 milliliters of a 0.200 M NaOH solution?
NaOH(aq) + HNO3(aq) = NaNO3(aq) + H2O(l)

40.00mL NaOH(aq) × (10^-3 L / 1 mL) × (0.200 mol NaOH / 1 L NaOH(aq)) × (1 mol HNO3 / 1 mol NaOH) × (1 L HNO3(aq) / 0.500 mol HNO3) × (1 mL / 10^-3 L) = 240 mL

Obviously wrong. Your answer indicates that you will need six times the volume of the weaker solution to neutralize using the stronger solution. By inspection you should expect to use less volume of the stronger solution to neutralize a given volume of the weaker solution.

What is neutralization by acid-base titration?

Neutralization by acid-base titration is a chemical process in which an acid and a base react with each other in a controlled manner to achieve a neutral pH. This is typically done by measuring the amount of acid or base used to reach the neutral point, also known as the equivalence point.

What equipment is needed for acid-base titration?

The equipment needed for acid-base titration includes a burette, a flask or beaker, a pipette, a pH indicator, and a stirrer. The burette is used to accurately measure and dispense the acid or base solution, while the flask or beaker is used to hold the solution being titrated. The pipette is used to accurately measure the volume of the solution being titrated, and the pH indicator is used to determine when the neutral point has been reached. The stirrer is used to mix the solutions together.

What is the purpose of acid-base titration?

The purpose of acid-base titration is to determine the concentration of an unknown acid or base solution. By using a known concentration of the opposite solution and measuring the volume needed to reach the neutral point, the concentration of the unknown solution can be calculated using the principles of stoichiometry.

What are some common types of acid-base titration problems?

Some common types of acid-base titration problems include determining the concentration of an unknown acid or base, finding the molar mass of an unknown acid or base, and calculating the volume needed to reach the neutral point using given concentrations of acid and base solutions.

How do you solve acid-base titration problems?

To solve acid-base titration problems, you need to follow a few key steps. First, identify the known and unknown solutions and their concentrations. Then, calculate the number of moles of the known solution. Next, use the mole ratio between the known and unknown solutions to calculate the number of moles of the unknown solution. Finally, use the concentration and volume of the unknown solution to solve for the unknown variable, such as concentration or volume.