Neutron induced Swelling tutorials in ANSYS

In summary, the conversation is about a student named Gautama who is pursuing M.Tech in Fast breeder reactor at IGCAR. He is having trouble modeling the fuel sub assembly bowing due to thermal, swelling gradients using ANSYS software. He is seeking help and advice from others in the field.
bhaskarhebbar
Dear all,

I am gautama currently pursuing my M.Tech in Fast breeder reactor at IGCAR. The project is based on the fuel sub assembly bowing due to thermal, swelling gradients. Using a FEM software ANSYS i have modeled the Sub assembly, but i am not able to give swelling parameter in ANSYS. Anyone who knows it please help me. You can also send me a PM.

Thanks in advance
Gautham, Manipal University

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bhaskarhebbar said:
Dear all,

I am gautama currently pursuing my M.Tech in Fast breeder reactor at IGCAR. The project is based on the fuel sub assembly bowing due to thermal, swelling gradients. Using a FEM software ANSYS i have modeled the Sub assembly, but i am not able to give swelling parameter in ANSYS. Anyone who knows it please help me. You can also send me a PM.

Thanks in advance
Gautham, Manipal University
Is one modeling SS316L?

Usually, swelling is correlated with the lattice damage, or displacements per atom (dpa), which itself often correlated to fast fluence (which is spectrally dependent). There are also compositional, irradiation temperature and dose rate (and history) influences, so one has to be careful when applying models obtained from the literature.

Thank you for your reply.Ya the material is SS316 LN. But i am still not clear how to input swelling in ANSYS??

Last edited:
One has to develop a user routine, e.g., USERSW, to model swelling in ANSYS.

Read the ANSYS documentation - Guide to ANSYS User Programmable Features.

Thanks for the info..Sir, do you have any sub routines to develop a model?? can you pls mail me tat?? bcs no sub routines are available to refer and develop my model.And also if u have any swelling tutorials pls mail me..

1. What is neutron-induced swelling?

Neutron-induced swelling is the process by which materials, such as metals, experience an increase in volume due to the displacement of atoms caused by the bombardment of neutrons.

2. Why is it important to study neutron-induced swelling?

Neutron-induced swelling can have significant impacts on the structural integrity and performance of materials in nuclear reactors, which are exposed to high levels of neutron radiation. Understanding and predicting the swelling behavior of materials is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of these reactors.

3. How can ANSYS be used to study neutron-induced swelling?

ANSYS is a powerful computational software that utilizes finite element analysis to simulate and analyze the behavior of materials and structures. It can be used to model the effects of neutron-induced swelling on materials, allowing for the prediction of swelling behavior under different conditions.

4. What are some common challenges in modeling neutron-induced swelling using ANSYS?

One challenge is accurately capturing the complex physics involved in neutron-induced swelling, including the interaction between neutrons and atoms in the material. Another challenge is selecting appropriate material models and parameters that can accurately represent the swelling behavior of the material being studied.

5. What are some applications of neutron-induced swelling tutorials in ANSYS?

Neutron-induced swelling tutorials in ANSYS can be used in a wide range of applications, such as in the design and optimization of materials for nuclear reactors, and in the analysis of materials used in space exploration, where exposure to high levels of neutron radiation is a concern.