Is My Tractor Stable Enough to Support a Lift at Maximum Height?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking professional help regarding a recent single man lift purchase and the question of tipping force calculations. The lift weighs 600 lbs and has holes for forklift forks. The person also has a New Holland farm tractor with forks, weighing 4100 lbs. They want to know if the tractor's weight could keep the lift stable enough to avoid tipping over at maximum lift capacity of 300 lbs and a height of 25 ft. They also mention concerns about working on non-level surfaces and mention seeking professional opinions for safety. However, after Mentor review, the thread is closed due to the potentially dangerous nature of the discussion and the recommendation to seek advice from a professional engineer.
PeterH48
I am seeking some professional help regarding a recent single man lift I purchased. My question is regarding tipping force calculations. I will try to explain all of the pertenent details as best as possible.

The lift I bought weighs approximately 600 lbs. It moves around on caster wheels but it has holes in the frame to accept forklift forks. I have a New Holland farm tractor that has forks on it. The tractor itself is 6 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. It weighs 3500 lbs and the two rear tire have liquid ballast in them bringing the total weight of the tractor to 4100 lbs.

If the lift is used on a level surface, it has mechanical outriggers to keep it from tipping over. I want to set it up so I can pin it to my forks for moving it around to different locations without having to use the outriggers. The basket you stand in weighs approximately 150 lbs. It extends to a maximum height of 25 ft. The basket is rated for 300lb lift capacity. At maximum lift capacity, the lift extended to it's max height of 25 ft., would the weight of the tractor keep the lift stable enough so it could not tip over? Can this be calculated?

Most of the intended work locations are flat. An occasional angled work surface would play a big part in tipping force. I have no idea on how to determine if my plan is safe. Modern lifts are equipped with sensors that alert you to unsafe conditions. If more info is need to provide me with an opinion, I will do my best to try and provide it. In my mind, I think the method of operating the lift would be quite safe and long as it was on a level surface. But limitations as far as non level working surfaces would be very helpful as well. Look forward to hearing some professional opinions on this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread is in Moderation temporarily for review by the Mentors...

NP, how long does it usually take for approval? I think it is a worthy topic.

PeterH48 said:
I am seeking some professional help regarding a recent single man lift I purchased. My question is regarding tipping force calculations. I will try to explain all of the pertenent details as best as possible.

The lift I bought weighs approximately 600 lbs. It moves around on caster wheels but it has holes in the frame to accept forklift forks. I have a New Holland farm tractor that has forks on it. The tractor itself is 6 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. It weighs 3500 lbs and the two rear tire have liquid ballast in them bringing the total weight of the tractor to 4100 lbs.

If the lift is used on a level surface, it has mechanical outriggers to keep it from tipping over. I want to set it up so I can pin it to my forks for moving it around to different locations without having to use the outriggers. The basket you stand in weighs approximately 150 lbs. It extends to a maximum height of 25 ft. The basket is rated for 300lb lift capacity. At maximum lift capacity, the lift extended to it's max height of 25 ft., would the weight of the tractor keep the lift stable enough so it could not tip over? Can this be calculated?

Most of the intended work locations are flat. An occasional angled work surface would play a big part in tipping force. I have no idea on how to determine if my plan is safe. Modern lifts are equipped with sensors that alert you to unsafe conditions. If more info is need to provide me with an opinion, I will do my best to try and provide it. In my mind, I think the method of operating the lift would be quite safe and long as it was on a level surface. But limitations as far as non level working surfaces would be very helpful as well. Look forward to hearing some professional opinions on this. Thanks
After Mentor review, this thread will stay closed.

We do not allow "dangerous discussions" at PhysicsForums for a number of reasons, including liability issues, but also we don't want future viewers of threads to try dangerous things in their particular setting with their particular variations that lead to bad things happening.

Here are a couple of quotes from the Mentor discussion. Please seek out a professional engineer in your area who can give you face-to-face advice on your project. Please be safe.

I believe there is an OSHA rule against working off forklift forks. That would go double for working off farm tractor forks.

Tractor tires are springs. Do NOT support a manlift on springs. A little resonant vibration (swaying) triggered by moving around on it while raised, and over it goes. There is a reason for those outriggers.

Bottom line: Both unsafe and illegal.

We don't give "professional" help. That term implies legal liability.

1. What is a tipping force and how does it affect new members?

A tipping force is a force that causes an object to rotate or tip over. In the context of new members, it refers to the amount of force needed to cause a new member to fail or break. The tipping force can depend on various factors such as the material and design of the member, as well as the applied load.

2. How do I calculate the tipping force for a new member?

The tipping force for a new member can be calculated by considering the maximum load that the member can withstand before it fails, as well as the distance between the applied load and the point of support. This calculation can be done using principles of mechanics and structural analysis.

3. Can the tipping force be reduced or eliminated?

Yes, the tipping force can be reduced or eliminated by designing the new member to be more stable and resistant to tipping. This can be achieved through careful selection of materials, appropriate sizing and placement of supports, and considering the expected loads the member will experience.

4. What are some common causes of failure due to tipping force in new members?

Some common causes of failure due to tipping force in new members include inadequate design or sizing, poor material selection, uneven distribution of load, and unexpected external forces such as wind or seismic activity. It is important to carefully consider all potential factors that may contribute to tipping force failure when designing new members.

5. How can I test the tipping force of a new member?

The tipping force of a new member can be tested by subjecting it to various loads and measuring the amount of force required for it to fail or tip over. This can be done through physical testing in a laboratory setting or through computer simulations using structural analysis software. It is important to follow proper testing protocols and safety measures when conducting these tests.