New moon map from NASA .... VERY zoomable

In summary, Dave found the Apollo 17 landing site using Google Moon and found the rover tracks but the resolution is limited.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, jim mcnamara and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that is VERY zoomable! I wonder if you can see spacecraft ... :wideeyed:

Likes davenn
I found the Apollo 17 landing site (with a lot of help from Google Moon where it is marked - the different illumination conditions still make it challenging).

Likes davenn and Borg
I didn't know about Google Moon. That helped me to find the Apollo 17 site also. You can see the rover tracks but that's about the limit of resolution unfortunately.

A quick way to find all the Apollo sites:

click on "Overlays" icon
click on "expand" button on "LROC Featured Images"
click on "Search" tab
enter: apollo
click on "Find"

2017.10.18.NASA.moon.quickmap.png

hovering over search result items will result in the sites being identified by green edged white circle

Selecting the "check box" pointed to by the blueish arrow will add a bunch of orange dots to the map.
Clicking on one of the orange dots with take you to a web page devoted to that site.
Example: Question Answered!

Some of the orange dot website pages provide higher resolution images.
For instance: The Apollo 13 SIVB Impact

I can't see it on the "Quickmap" app.

ps. This is SWEET! Thanks, Dave!
pps. And there goes the rest of my day.

Attachments

• 2017.10.18.NASA.moon.quickmap.png
    2017.10.18.NASA.moon.quickmap.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,270
Likes Borg, davenn and mfb
OmCheeto said:
ps. This is SWEET! Thanks, Dave!

you are welcome :smile:

OmCheeto said:
pps. And there goes the rest of my day.
haha yup, I can see I'm going to send hours on there too looking at all sorts of stuff :rolleyes:
Andy Resnick said:
Whoa... I can see the Apollo 11 landing module!

I did have a quick look in the area, but didn't see it, will have to use Om's suggested site to better define the area

Thanks to Om, now knowing where to look, I can even see the shadow it casts ... AWESOME!
Dave

Last edited:
Likes davenn

1. What is the purpose of the new moon map from NASA?

The new moon map from NASA is designed to provide a highly detailed and zoomable visual representation of the surface of the moon. It allows scientists and the general public to explore and study the lunar landscape in great detail.

2. How was the new moon map created?

The new moon map was created using data collected by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) spacecraft. The LRO has been orbiting the moon since 2009 and has been collecting high-resolution images and data of the lunar surface.

3. What features can be seen on the new moon map?

The new moon map from NASA shows a wide range of features on the lunar surface, including craters, mountains, valleys, and other geological formations. It also includes information on the locations of past and current lunar missions, such as Apollo landing sites.

4. How accurate is the new moon map?

The new moon map is highly accurate, with a resolution of up to 20 meters per pixel in some areas. This means that small features on the lunar surface can be seen and studied in great detail. However, the map is constantly being updated and improved as new data is collected by the LRO.

5. How can I access the new moon map?

The new moon map from NASA is available for free on the agency's website. It can be accessed through a web browser and does not require any special software or downloads. Users can zoom in and out, pan, and explore different areas of the map using their computer or mobile device.