New Optics Toy: A 'Varicolor' filter

In summary, the conversation discusses a 'Varicolor' filter, which is a polariscope made by Cokin. The filter consists of a linear polarizer sandwiched between two retarders, with spectral retardance ranging from 0 degrees in the blue to 180 degrees in the red. The filter is used to change the color of LCD screens when rotated, and the speaker plans to incorporate it into their Ultraphot for further experiments.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Spike Walker, whom I semi-regularly consult with about my Ultraphot III, recently told me about a really cool optical device: a 'Varicolor' filter, manufactured (and discontinued) by Cokin. I found one for $10 on eBay, received it yesterday, and I can't put it down. Here's a set of images of the clear plastic holder held against my laptop screen, take as the filter is rotated through 90 degrees:

4a1346ec-c2fa-4148-ab0f-304cbd9bc7e2-original.jpg

7dbd55e1-bec6-4a47-ac98-a986b80a4a69-original.jpg

57ce63ae-e1fa-4bcf-a49e-2167530de6b6-original.jpg

The object being held is the clear plastic cover and the fringes are due to strain-optic behavior. When used this way, the filter is a polariscope. Notice also that the background screen changes color as the filter rotates. That's because LCD screens emit linearly polarized light.

The filter consists of (I think, don't know for sure) a linear polarizer sandwiched between two retarders, the spectral retardance of each retarder ranges from 0 degrees in the blue to 180 degrees ('half wave plate') in the red (or vice-versa). There are other color combination filters out there, the essential aspect is the use of (highly) chromatically aberrated elements.

What I'm going to try to do is incorporate the filter into the Ultraphot and see what results.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, davenn and Drakkith
Science news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
What I'm going to try to do is incorporate the filter into the Ultraphot and see what results.
Looking forward to more photos and experiments with this new tool!

1. What is a 'Varicolor' filter and how does it work?

A 'Varicolor' filter is a type of optical filter that uses multiple layers of different colored materials to selectively filter out certain wavelengths of light. It works by allowing only specific colors to pass through, resulting in a change in the perceived color of the object being viewed.

2. What are the benefits of using a 'Varicolor' filter?

There are several benefits to using a 'Varicolor' filter. It can enhance the contrast and saturation of colors, making them appear more vibrant and vivid. It can also be used to isolate specific colors or wavelengths for scientific or artistic purposes. Additionally, it can be a fun and educational tool for exploring the properties of light and color.

3. How is a 'Varicolor' filter different from other types of filters?

A 'Varicolor' filter is unique in that it uses multiple layers of different colored materials, whereas other filters may use a single layer or a combination of materials. This allows for a wider range of colors to be filtered and a more precise control over the resulting color changes.

4. Can a 'Varicolor' filter be used with any type of light source?

Yes, a 'Varicolor' filter can be used with any type of light source, including natural sunlight, incandescent bulbs, and LED lights. However, the specific colors and effects may vary depending on the type and intensity of the light source.

5. How can a 'Varicolor' filter be used in scientific experiments?

A 'Varicolor' filter can be used in a variety of scientific experiments to study the properties of light and color. It can be used to demonstrate the principles of additive and subtractive color mixing, to analyze the absorption and transmission of light by different materials, and to investigate the effects of different wavelengths of light on biological or chemical processes.