New to building a wind generator -- Need help

In summary, the person is struggling with getting their Fisher and Paykel stator and rotor to spin, as the magnets are very strong and difficult to separate. They are seeking suggestions and someone suggests checking the bearings and shafts for any interference. Another person suggests looking into decogging the rotor.
Yhelena H
I thought it is easy when I was watching all sorts of instruction videos. However, now I have Fisher and Paykel stator and rotor, and I cannot solve how rotor is suppose to spin. The magnets are so strong that I do not think any wind will be able to move it.
When I received my parts, I had hard time separating rotor and stator, magnets are holding them together and rotor won't spin without a great force (I could not move it manually). What am I missing?
In those videos where people show how they hooked up a light bulb to it and even with light spin, it generates enough power for the bulb to work, it does not seem like it takes any efforts to spin the rotor.
Need a suggestion, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know to much about this topic at all, but I think the idea is that the blades turn either a magnet of a coil of wire (faraday effect) to generate electricity. Therefore, I would think that the magnets should not be touching or be together but rather separated so you can put the coil between to generate the effect.
Is not sure about the specifics of this design, but it would look at the videos specifically showing what they did with these parts as you might have to take them apart somehow or have a piece that goes in between them!
Sorry I am not more help!

Yhelena H said:
What am I missing?

There is something wrong with your set up. I have worked on many F&P rotors and stators and they should spin quite freely; with one or two fingers, even when they are in terrible condition. Check bearings, shafts, interference ect

Yhelena H said:
I thought it is easy when I was watching all sorts of instruction videos. However, now I have Fisher and Paykel stator and rotor, and I cannot solve how rotor is suppose to spin. The magnets are so strong that I do not think any wind will be able to move it.
When I received my parts, I had hard time separating rotor and stator, magnets are holding them together and rotor won't spin without a great force (I could not move it manually). What am I missing?
In those videos where people show how they hooked up a light bulb to it and even with light spin, it generates enough power for the bulb to work, it does not seem like it takes any efforts to spin the rotor.
Need a suggestion, please.

I don't know anything about this either, but I found this without too much trouble

http://sabels.co.za/FP.pdf

Cogging
•Resistance of the Smart Drive rotor to turn freely from the stationary position.
•Once moving, this resistance drops away to almost nothing.
•Seriously affects -the blade is reluctant to start rotating.

google "Fisher and Paykel wind generator decogging"

good luck with your project

Hello,

Building a wind generator can be a challenging task, especially if you are new to it. It is important to keep in mind that the process may require some trial and error, and it is not uncommon to encounter difficulties along the way.

From your description, it seems that the magnets in your rotor are indeed very strong, which can make it difficult to manually spin the rotor. This is actually a good thing, as it means that your generator will be able to produce more energy from the wind. However, it is important to make sure that the rotor is able to spin freely when exposed to wind.

One possible solution could be to adjust the placement of the magnets on the rotor. By changing the distance between the magnets, you may be able to reduce the strength of their hold and make it easier for the rotor to spin. Another solution could be to add more blades to the rotor, which would increase the surface area exposed to wind and help overcome the strong magnetic force.

Additionally, it is important to make sure that the rotor and stator are properly aligned and that there is enough space between them for the rotor to spin freely. If the magnets are too close to the stator, they may hinder the rotation of the rotor.

Overall, building a wind generator can be a complex process, and it is important to carefully follow instructions and make necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance. I would suggest seeking advice from experienced wind generator builders or researching further to find the best solution for your specific situation.

I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Sincerely,

What materials do I need to build a wind generator?

To build a wind generator, you will need a rotor, a tower, a generator, a tail, and a battery. You may also need additional materials for the base and wiring, depending on the design of your wind generator.

What tools do I need to build a wind generator?

Some essential tools you will need to build a wind generator include a drill, saw, soldering iron, and wrenches. You may also need other tools depending on the specific design of your wind generator.

How do I determine the size of my wind generator?

The size of your wind generator will depend on several factors, including the average wind speed in your area, the amount of energy you want to generate, and your budget. It is recommended to consult a wind energy professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

What is the best location for my wind generator?

The best location for a wind generator is in an open area with consistent wind speeds. Avoid placing it near obstructions such as tall buildings or trees, as they can interfere with the wind and reduce the efficiency of your generator.

How do I maintain my wind generator?

Maintaining your wind generator is crucial to ensure its longevity and efficiency. Regularly check and clean the blades, lubricate moving parts, and inspect the wiring for any damage. It is also essential to monitor the battery levels and replace it when necessary.