New X-Files, or spot-the-difference....

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, the new 6-episode X-Files revival started off strong but quickly became boring and lackluster. The acting, particularly from David Duchovny, was disappointing and the storylines were not up to par. It seems that the new writers may be from a different genre, resulting in a shift away from the established sci-fi style of the show.
strangerep
Science Advisor
The 1st of the new 6-episode X-Files resurrection seemed promising. But,... is it just me or are they just getting boring by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th episodes?

Also, can anyone spot the difference between David Duchovny and... a lump of timber?? o_O

I always knew his acting was even more wooden than Nicole Kidman, but in this series the wood seems to have reached a state of fossilization... :oldruck:

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, I think the new writers are from the Soap Opera genre, as opposed to Sci-fi.

In Sci-fi, character traits are at least partially established again in each episode, with the intent that we can watch anyone episode as our first and still enjoy the episode, though we can appreciate it more if we have been following along. Daytime serials however, rely heavily on our becoming attached to specific characters and tuning into every episode to see what happens to them next.

As a fellow X-Files fan, I have to agree with you. The first episode had me hooked and excited for the rest of the series, but as it went on, I found myself getting more and more disappointed. The storylines were lackluster and the acting, especially from David Duchovny, seemed to be phoned in. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to the resurrection of one of my favorite shows.

And yes, I have noticed the difference between Duchovny and a lump of timber. At least the timber has some character and depth. Maybe they should have cast a tree as Mulder instead. It might have brought more life to the character. :P

What is the premise of the "New X-Files" series?

The "New X-Files" series follows the story of two FBI agents, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, as they investigate paranormal and extraterrestrial cases.

How does the "New X-Files" differ from the original series?

The "New X-Files" features updated technology and a more modern setting, as well as a slightly different dynamic between Mulder and Scully. Additionally, the new series includes a mix of stand-alone episodes and a larger, overarching storyline.

Are any of the original cast members returning for the "New X-Files"?

Yes, many of the original cast members are reprising their roles, including David Duchovny as Mulder and Gillian Anderson as Scully. Other familiar faces include Mitch Pileggi as Walter Skinner and William B. Davis as the infamous Cigarette Smoking Man.

Do I need to watch the original series before watching the "New X-Files"?

While it's not necessary to have seen the original series, it may enhance your understanding and enjoyment of the "New X-Files" if you are familiar with the characters and their history. However, the new series can also stand on its own for new viewers.

Will the "New X-Files" address the cliffhanger ending of the original series?

The "New X-Files" does address the cliffhanger ending of the original series, but it also introduces new mysteries and plotlines for viewers to follow. The creators have stated that both new and old fans will be satisfied with the continuation of the story.