Newtonian gravity and differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational acceleration experienced by a body in a 2D case and explores the possibility of finding solutions for radius as a function of time in spherical coordinates or x and y displacement as a function of time in cartesian coordinates. It is mentioned that while it is possible to write down integrals for these solutions, closed solutions are not readily available.
Chuckstabler
Hello,

So i know that the gravitational acceleration experienced by a body is -GM/||d||^2 * dhat, where dhat is the current displacement unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1. the magnitude of a vector is equal to to the square root of the sum of its squared components. This will be a 2d case. Assuming that some constant times the x and y displacement components will result in a displacement vector with a magnitude of 1, we get c^2(x^2+y^2) = sqrt(1) = 1, so c = 1/(x^2+y^2)^0.5, so our displacement unit vectors x component is x/(x^2+y^2)^0.5, and its y component is y/(x^2+y^2)^0.5. The magnitude of our displacement ||d|| is (x^2+y^2)^0.5, so ||d||^2 = x^2+y^2, so multiplying -gm/||d||^2 by the displacement unit vector I get an x component of -xgm/(x^2+y^2)^1.5, and a y component of -ygm/(x^2+y^2)^1.5

So that's the acceleration vector in cartesian coordinates. Breaking them down into two coupled non linear second order differential equations i get...
y" = -gmy/(y^2+x^2)^1.5
x" = -gmx/(y^2+x^2)^1.5

I'm well aware that we can find solutions in spherical coordinates that give us radius as a function of theta for the first formula (Newtonian gravity), but can we find solutions giving us radius as a function of time in spherical coordinates? Or x and y displacement as a function of time in cartesian coordinates using the above coupled differential equations? I know that we can do so for a one dimensional case, by finding velocity as a function of distance and then taking advantage of the implicit solution that Time = the integral of (1/velocity(distance)) dv, but can it be done in two dimensions or more? or must a time independent solution suffice (radius(theta) via the well known conic solutions in spherical coordinates).

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to write down integrals that give the position as function of time, but I'm not aware of closed solutions for those integrals.

1. What is Newtonian gravity?

Newtonian gravity is a physical theory proposed by Sir Isaac Newton that explains the force of gravity as a mutual attraction between any two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Newtonian gravity differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Newtonian gravity is a classical theory that only applies to objects with relatively low speeds and weak gravitational fields. Einstein's theory of relativity, on the other hand, is a more accurate and comprehensive theory that explains the effects of gravity on objects with high speeds and strong gravitational fields.

3. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve the derivative of a function. They are used to model and describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change over time or space.

4. How are differential equations used in Newtonian gravity?

In Newtonian gravity, differential equations are used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. By solving these equations, we can predict the trajectory of an object and understand how it will move in a given gravitational field.

5. Can Newtonian gravity and differential equations be applied to all objects in the universe?

No, Newtonian gravity and differential equations are only applicable to objects with relatively low speeds and weak gravitational fields. For objects with high speeds and strong gravitational fields, Einstein's theory of relativity must be used.