Newton's First Law problem -- Conceptual question about KE

In summary: This is because, in the absence of any external forces, a body in motion will remain in motion with the same speed and direction. Therefore, the kinetic energy of the ball comes from the initial throw and is conserved as it travels through the void. This also applies to objects in orbit, where the force of gravity from the parent body does not result in a loss of energy, but rather a change in direction.
Lunct
I have come up with a bit of a problem in my head regarding Newton's first law. If any of you could help me solve it that would be much appreciated.

So if you throw a tennis ball (or any object really), and you throw it into an infinite expanse of nothing but void, it will travel forever, or at least a very long time. So where would the kinetic energy from the movement of the ball come from? The law of the conservation of energy would say it cannot just be created, it would have to come from somewhere. Surely it couldn't just be the initial throw from your arm.

Also side question that is related: Where does the energy for the movement of an object in orbit, like the moon, come from? I know it comes from the gravity of the Earth (for the moon), but does that mean it is using up energy from the earth?

HELP

Science news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
Surely it couldn't just be the initial throw from your arm.
Yes it is. And momentum is conserved, so you and your spaceship recoil backwards a bit as you throw the ball out into space.

And please don't call me Shirley. :smile:

Likes S.G. Janssens and Lunct
berkeman said:
Yes it is. And momentum is conserved, so you and your spaceship recoil backwards a bit as you throw the ball out into space.

And please don't call me Shirley. :smile:
How?
If you do the math(s) it takes less energy to throw a ball than it does for that ball to travel forever.
Can you explain.

No, there is no friction in space (sort of), so there is nothing to affect the ball's trajectory or speed.

EDIT/ADD -- And do what math? Can you show us?

Lunct said:
Surely it couldn't just be the initial throw from your arm
Why not? That's exactly where it comes from. As long as a body continues in uniform motion without being acted on by a force, it maintains its kinetic energy. It doesn't need to be continually supplied with energy to keep it moving, because it isn't losing energy. The analogy from common experience, where we need to supply energy to keep moving, is because the motion is opposed by forces (friction, air resistance etc.) and energy is lost in resisting those forces. In your scenario there are no forces to resist, and no loss of energy. Ideally it will keep moving for ever.
Similarly in the case of an object in circular orbit, this time there is a force (the gravity of the parent body), but the force is at right angles to the velocity, so the direction of motion changes, but the speed, and kinetic energy, remain constant. (There is an exchange of energy due to tidal forces, but this is not relevant to your question.)

mjc123 said:
Why not? That's exactly where it comes from. As long as a body continues in uniform motion without being acted on by a force, it maintains its kinetic energy. It doesn't need to be continually supplied with energy to keep it moving, because it isn't losing energy. The analogy from common experience, where we need to supply energy to keep moving, is because the motion is opposed by forces (friction, air resistance etc.) and energy is lost in resisting those forces. In your scenario there are no forces to resist, and no loss of energy. Ideally it will keep moving for ever.
Similarly in the case of an object in circular orbit, this time there is a force (the gravity of the parent body), but the force is at right angles to the velocity, so the direction of motion changes, but the speed, and kinetic energy, remain constant. (There is an exchange of energy due to tidal forces, but this is not relevant to your question.)
That makes so much more sense and I understand everything. I am enlightened with your knowledge.
Thanks.

berkeman said:
No, there is no friction in space (sort of), so there is nothing to affect the ball's trajectory or speed.

EDIT/ADD -- And do what math? Can you show us?
I realize that was stupid. To work out how much energy it takes to move something you need acceleration, and there is no acceleration. I didn't think that one through.

Lunct said:
I have come up with a bit of a problem in my head regarding Newton's first law. If any of you could help me solve it that would be much appreciated.

So if you throw a tennis ball (or any object really), and you throw it into an infinite expanse of nothing but void, it will travel forever, or at least a very long time. So where would the kinetic energy from the movement of the ball come from? The law of the conservation of energy would say it cannot just be created, it would have to come from somewhere. Surely it couldn't just be the initial throw from your arm.

Also side question that is related: Where does the energy for the movement of an object in orbit, like the moon, come from? I know it comes from the gravity of the Earth (for the moon), but does that mean it is using up energy from the earth?

HELP
Newton's 1st law says ...unless acted by external force. So in space there is no opposing force i.e gravity and air resistance. The kinetic energy will be constant all the time till it acted by external force. So the ball will go on and on and on... unless some fooking Alien touches it that we human race known of.

1. What is Newton's First Law and how does it apply to KE?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This law applies to the concept of kinetic energy (KE) because an object in motion will continue to have the same amount of KE unless an external force acts upon it, causing a change in its velocity.

2. How is KE related to an object's mass and velocity?

The amount of KE an object has is directly proportional to both its mass and velocity. This means that as an object's mass or velocity increases, so does its KE. The formula for calculating KE is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. Can an object have KE if it is at rest?

No, an object at rest has no velocity and therefore no KE. As stated in Newton's First Law, an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. In order for an object to have KE, it must be in motion.

4. How does friction affect KE?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that friction acts as an external force and can cause a decrease in an object's KE. The amount of KE lost due to friction is dependent on the type of surface and the force of friction acting upon the object.

5. Can an object have negative KE?

No, KE is always a positive value. It represents the energy an object has due to its motion, so it cannot be negative. However, if an object's velocity is negative, the KE will also be negative, but it is still considered a positive value. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of the object's motion, not the value of its KE.