Newton's law of conservation as it applies to the big bang

In summary: This is a consequence of the fact that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic, but it doesn't require the universe to be expanding.
OryHaram
I had a thought the other day and I am looking for someone to tell me why it does not work.

In consideration of energy be neither created nor destroyed, to me this would say there is not enough energy to continue expanding the universe.

I also make the conjecture the gravity never stop effecting any or everything else in the universe, similar to quantum entanglement.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
OryHaram said:
In consideration of energy be neither created nor destroyed, to me this would say there is not enough energy to continue expanding the universe.

Conservation of energy doesn't apply to the universe as a whole, since there is no way to unambiguously define the total energy of the universe under General Relativity. See here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

OryHaram said:
I also make the conjecture the gravity never stop effecting any or everything else in the universe, similar to quantum entanglement.

Quantum entanglement and gravity are nothing alike, but you are correct about gravity in the sense that gravity's range is infinite.

Likes bhobba
Just to expand on Drakkiths excellent reply you have to understand the modern view of energy conservation. It actually follows from a very profound theorem called Noether's Theorem:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/noether.html

The history behind it is both interesting, instructive about the climate for female students at the start of the last century, and explains why energy conservation does not apply to the universe as a whole:
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...-the-course-of-physics-but-couldnt-get-a-job/

To sum up because space-time is curved the symmetry required for energy conservation does not exist so even the concept of energy is up for grabs in GR as explained in the link Drakkith gave.

Putting my mentors hat on I want to mention personal theories are not allowed on this forum. I know you just mentioned a conjecture in passing, however in the spirit of our rule against personal theories if you can resit the urge in future it will make it easier for those following the thread - they will not be distracted by side issues.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
because space-time is curved the symmetry required for energy conservation does not exist

Just to be clear: it's not the fact that the spacetime of the universe is curved; it's the fact that the spacetime of the universe does not have any time translation symmetry. There are curved spacetimes that do; but the curved spacetime that describes our universe is not one of them.

Likes bhobba
Thank you for the replies, I only meant to say that like entanglement it would have no range.

PeterDonis said:
Just to be clear: it's not the fact that the spacetime of the universe is curved; it's the fact that the spacetime of the universe does not have any time translation symmetry.

Have any links that elaborate on this but aren't quite graduate-textbook level?

Likes Drakkith

1. What is Newton's law of conservation as it applies to the big bang?

Newton's law of conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed. This applies to the big bang as it explains the conservation of energy and matter in the universe.

2. How does Newton's law of conservation explain the big bang?

The big bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. As the singularity expanded, it released a tremendous amount of energy and matter, which followed the laws of conservation and were transformed into the building blocks of the universe.

3. Does Newton's law of conservation apply to the expansion of the universe?

Yes, Newton's law of conservation applies to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the total amount of energy and matter remains constant, but it is spread out over a larger volume.

4. Can Newton's law of conservation be applied to the formation of galaxies and stars?

Yes, Newton's law of conservation can be applied to the formation of galaxies and stars. As clouds of gas and dust collapse under their own gravity, they release a tremendous amount of energy, which is then conserved and transformed into the heat and light of stars.

5. How does Newton's law of conservation relate to the eventual fate of the universe?

Newton's law of conservation suggests that the total energy and matter in the universe will remain constant. This means that the universe will continue to expand, but at a slower rate, until all energy is evenly distributed and the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, known as the "heat death" of the universe.