Newton's Law of Cooling temp graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of conducting an experiment related to Newton's law of cooling, and calculating the specific heat capacity of a liquid using a graph. The conversation also addresses the challenges and limitations of this experiment, such as maintaining consistent temperatures and accounting for heat transfer. It is mentioned that finding the heat transfer coefficient, K, can be difficult but can be improved by insulating and sealing the container.
MelanieBrett
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing an experiment related to Newton's law of cooling, just a simple heat up a liquid to a temp graph its rate of cooling, repeat for different liquids. I was thinking of seeing if from this graph I could calculate the specific heat capacity of the liquid, but I don't know if there is a link between K and C and whether they can be found from a graph. I was also wondering if to get more complex maths involved there are and related integral or differential calculations that would be worth doing on the graph or equations?
Q=mcT
T2 = T0 + (T1 - T0) * e(-k * Δt)
Thanks in advance,
B

Physics news on Phys.org
What is K? What is C?

The other aspects you need to consider are:
1) Newton's Law of Cooling applies when the substance has a temperature which is very close to temperature of surroundings. How do you plan to maintain that?
2) The liquid will be arranged in some sort of container, which will allow heat to flow out due to conduction. Hence the values you get will not be the value of heat lost by liquid, but only a part of it.
3) The experiment will have to be done hundreds of times to get anything close to a good approximation. (My textbook says Joule worked twenty years paddling a foot pedal to verify the First Law of Thermodynamics- I don't know how far it is true, but I am sure we don't have such a timescale here).

I am sorry if that discourages you but hey, if everyone could do experiments so easily we wouldn't need CERN. Its always worth trying though, in keeping with the scientific spirit.

In order to find C (heat capacity) you need to know K (heat transfer coefficient). This can be extremely difficult, but you can help matters by insulating and sealing the container. A sheet of styrofoam insulation has known thermal conductivity and all but eliminates other heat transfer modes. Then you can test something with a known heat capacity to calibrate the system and then test other objects/substances.

Likes CrazyNinja

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the cooling of an object in a surrounding medium. It states that the rate of change of an object's temperature is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and the temperature of the surrounding medium.

What is the equation for Newton's Law of Cooling?

The equation for Newton's Law of Cooling is: dT/dt = -k(T - Tm), where dT/dt is the rate of change of temperature, k is the cooling constant, T is the temperature of the object, and Tm is the temperature of the surrounding medium.

How is Newton's Law of Cooling represented on a temperature graph?

On a temperature graph, Newton's Law of Cooling is represented by a curve that starts at the initial temperature of the object and gradually approaches the temperature of the surrounding medium as time passes.

What factors affect the cooling rate of an object according to Newton's Law of Cooling?

The cooling rate of an object can be affected by several factors, including the difference in temperature between the object and the surrounding medium, the surface area and material of the object, and the properties of the surrounding medium (such as density and thermal conductivity).

How is Newton's Law of Cooling applied in real-world situations?

Newton's Law of Cooling has many practical applications, such as predicting the cooling of food and beverages, understanding climate change, and designing cooling systems for electronic devices. It is also used in forensic science to determine time of death based on the cooling rate of a body.