Newton's second law for rotations

pedrovisk
TL;DR Summary
What is the minimum force to start rotation in a bar?
EDIT: I forgot about Second Newton's law for rotations and this led to a mistake. Anyway, thanks for the people who answered it and remembered me about law of inertia.

I was thinking about how to "make" things to move without rotate the object, then i tried to calculate the minimum force to start a homogeneous bar to rotate in a x axis. I attached a link.
Could someone check if my answer is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

What force is resisting rotation?

PeroK said:
:welcome:

What force is resisting rotation?
Hi! The bar is at static equilibrium. What I meant with this force F is what "push" I need to do in order to "win" the moment of inertia.

pedrovisk said:
Hi! The bar is at static equilibrium. What I meant with this force F is what "push" I need to do in order to "win" the moment of inertia.
I don't know what "win" means in this context. In the absence of a resisting force, any force (no matter how small) will move and rotate the bar.

Likes russ_watters, pedrovisk and Orodruin
It is like asking what force is required to make an object accelerate when there is no resisting force. F = ma tells you that any net force will result in an acceleration, just as ##T = I\alpha## tells you any net torque will result in an angular acceleration.

Likes pedrovisk
Orodruin said:
It is like asking what force is required to make an object accelerate when there is no resisting force. F = ma tells you that any net force will result in an acceleration, just as ##T = I\alpha## tells you any net torque will result in an angular acceleration.
Can't believe i forgot about this. Basic Newton's first law for rotations.

I think I was confused when I was trying to rotate a bar like that. I probably just forgot about the friction.

Anyway, now I'm curious. Is there any meaning for the pic I attached?

PeroK said:
I don't know what "win" means in this context. In the absence of a resisting force, any force (no matter how small) will move and rotate the bar.
Thanks, you are absolutely right. I was having trouble to understand rotations as a extension of Newton's laws.

Asking the same question I did to Orodruin, what is a possible interpretation for the pic? Did it have a meaning or I should just torn it apart the paper and throw it to the trash? The development of the equations looks so smooth.

pedrovisk said:
Thanks, you are absolutely right. I was having trouble to understand rotations as a extension of Newton's laws.

Asking the same question I did to Orodruin, what is a possible interpretation for the pic? Did it have a meaning or I should just torn it apart the paper and throw it to the trash? The development of the equations looks so smooth.
You have a torque of ##F\frac l 2##. Somehow you have an opposing torque of ##\frac{mlg}{4}##.

Likes pedrovisk
PS gravity acts through the centre of the bar, so it should not produce a torque on the bar about its centre.

Likes pedrovisk
pedrovisk said:
I was thinking about how to "make" things to move without rotate the object,
Apply all force through the center of mass, otherwise make sure that the torques cancel.