Newton's shell theorem & Nuclear Fusion

In summary, the shell theorem states that the forces on an object inside a solid sphere are zero, while the forces on an object outside the sphere are still present and affect the object. The pressure in the core of the sun is due to the attraction of the sun's mass towards the center of the sun, and the fusion process happens because of the pressure and heat generated.
willoughby
I have a problem reconciling something. According to Newton's shell theorem, at any point within a solid sphere, for the purposes of calculating the gravitational force exerted on you, the mass that is outside your own radius to the center can be ignored since it cancels out, and the net force from any mass outside your radius is zero. I understand this theorem, and it makes complete sense. What I have a problem with is if this is the case, then what is causing the enormous amount of pressure that causes the Earth's core to remain solid? What causes the pressure in the sun's core that allows fusion to occur? Can someone please reconcile these two concepts for me. It seems to me, that the farther you get to the center, the LESS force there is from gravity. In other words, if the mass OUTSIDE your radius exerts a net force of ZERO, then WHAT is pushing DOWN on you in the core? What is compressing the core?

I hope this isn't a dumb question. First time posting in this forum. That would be a rough start!

Physics news on Phys.org
willoughby said:
if the mass OUTSIDE your radius exerts a net force of ZERO, then WHAT is pushing DOWN on you in the core?
The mass outside your radius exerts a GRAVITATIONAL net force of zero. What is pushing down is ELECTROMAGNETIC repulsion.

willoughby said:
I have a problem reconciling something. According to Newton's shell theorem, at any point within a solid sphere, for the purposes of calculating the gravitational force exerted on you, the mass that is outside your own radius to the center can be ignored since it cancels out, and the net force from any mass outside your radius is zero. I understand this theorem, and it makes complete sense. What I have a problem with is if this is the case, then what is causing the enormous amount of pressure that causes the Earth's core to remain solid? What causes the pressure in the sun's core that allows fusion to occur? Can someone please reconcile these two concepts for me. It seems to me, that the farther you get to the center, the LESS force there is from gravity. In other words, if the mass OUTSIDE your radius exerts a net force of ZERO, then WHAT is pushing DOWN on you in the core? What is compressing the core?

The gravitational pull of the shell on anything inside the shell is indeed zero. But the shell still has weight - left to its own devices it would fall inwards, and that's where the crushing force comes from.

The easiest way to see this might be to calculate the gravitational force (from the shell itself) experienced by a point ON the shell, as opposed to inside it. That force is non-zero and inwards-directed everywhere on the shell.

Nugatory said:
The easiest way to see this might be to calculate...
Or even simpler: Consider two identical massive spheres in space, touching each other. If you are placed right between them, the net gravitational force on you is zero, because their attraction ON YOU cancels. But they are still attracting EACH OTHER, so they will squeeze you.

A.T. said:
Or even simpler: Consider two identical massive spheres in space, touching each other. If you are placed right between them, the net gravitational force on you is zero, because their attraction ON YOU cancels. But they are still attracting EACH OTHER, so they will squeeze you.

This is what lit the light bulb for me. This is a perfect explanation. I completely understand. Thanks a lot!

1. What is Newton's shell theorem?

Newton's shell theorem states that the gravitational force exerted by a spherically symmetric mass distribution on a particle outside the distribution is equal to the gravitational force that would be exerted by all the mass inside that distribution if it were concentrated at the center of the distribution.

2. How is Newton's shell theorem applied in astronomy?

In astronomy, Newton's shell theorem is used to calculate the gravitational force exerted by a planet or star on an object outside of its surface. This is important in determining the orbits of planets and satellites, as well as predicting the motion of celestial bodies.

3. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing large amounts of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

4. Why is nuclear fusion important?

Nuclear fusion is important because it is a potential source of clean and virtually limitless energy. It produces no greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste, making it a promising alternative to traditional fossil fuels.

5. How does nuclear fusion differ from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion differs from nuclear fission in that it involves combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while fission involves splitting a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei. Fusion requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, while fission can occur at lower temperatures and pressures. Additionally, fusion produces more energy per unit of mass than fission.