Newton's Third Law and a rocket in space

In summary, the conversation centers around understanding Newton's Third Law and how it applies to different scenarios, such as a rocket in space or a horse pulling a cart. The key concept is that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, and this law can be seen in various forces and accelerations within a system.
Crosshair
I am the kind of guy that always needs to return to the horse-and-carriage problem to hone in my understanding of Newton's Third Law. Here's my question. Assume a rocket in space is applying a force to another object of equal mass in space. Now, I understand the object in space is experiencing an unbalanced force, and so, it will accelerate in the opposite direction of the rocket.

What always perturbs me is when I begin to think of the force acting on the rocket - it will experience a force in the opposite direction - what does this mean exactly? Does this force prevent it from moving forward? Here, I say no, because the system is moving the direction of the force as the object in space is moving forward due to the unbalanced force.

Are we trying to say the opposite force experienced by the rocket is what prevents it from going through the object? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this opposite force, experienced by the rocket, that does not prevent it from moving forward (as this system, including the rocket, moves forward), yet is still felt by the rocket.

Science news on Phys.org
Crosshair said:
it will experience a force in the opposite direction - what does this mean exactly? Does this force prevent it from moving forward?
Acceleration is determined by the net force on the object, not a force.

Understood. There is a net force in one direction, accelerating the system forward. But, from the rocket's perspective, it is experiencing an equal force in the opposite direction - what does this mean for the rocket? Does it mean the rocket will be unable to go through the object it is pushing again?

Crosshair said:
There is a net force in one direction, accelerating the system forward.
There is also a net force on the rocket accelerating it forward. The force from the exhaust is greater than the force from the pushed object.

Yes, we've established the system is moving forward. Now, to my question, the rocket will experience a force in the opposite direction equal to the force it is applying to the object - this is the force pair that I'm interested in. Is this force responsible for the rocket not going through the object? For example, if the object was not strong enough to provide this force, it would collapse, and the rocket would go through the object.

Crosshair said:
Yes, we've established the system is moving forward.
You mean accelerating? Movement at constant speed doesn't require any forces.

Crosshair said:
the rocket will experience a force ... if the object was not strong enough to provide this force, it would collapse,
That is a weird way to parse it. The object will collapse due to the force acting on the object, not due to the force on the rocket. But since they are of equal magnitude it doesn't really matter how you put it..

Yes accelerating forward. Is the rocket experiencing a force in the opposite direction because the object is intact; thus, able to provide that opposite force? Otherwise, if the object collapsed, the rocket would proceed through the object, with no opposite force.

Crosshair said:
Otherwise, if the object collapsed, the rocket would proceed through the object, with no opposite force.
Yes, if the object is destroyed by the push, the rocket can accelerate faster.

Likes Crosshair
What about a passenger in the rocket? The person is another object.

The rocket exterts a force on the person, so the person accelerates with the rocket.

The person exerts an equal and opposite force on the rocket so the rocket will accelerate slower than if there was no person on board.

A.T. said:
Yes, if the object is destroyed by the push, the rocket can accelerate faster.

I just want to make sure I properly understand Newton's Third Law.

Assume there's a horse with a mass 100kg and a cart with a mass 20kg. Assume the horse pushes off the ground with a force 1,000N, the ground,in turn, will push the horse forward with a force of 1,000N.

If I look a the system as a whole, it will have a mass of 100 + 20 = 120. With a force of 1,000N, the system will accelerate 1,000/120 = 8.33 m/s^2

So now, we can calculate the net force exerted on each object ( F = m * 8.33)

Horse: F = 100 * 8.33 = 833.33N

Cart: F = 20 * 8.33 = 166.667N A

The following demonstrates Newton's Third Law

The horse exerted a force of 1,000N, but experiences only a net force of 833.33N, a loss of 833N - 1000N = -166.667 B

A + B = 0 <- Newton's Third Law

Crosshair said:
Cart: F = 20 * 8.33 = 166.667N A

The following demonstrates Newton's Third Law

The horse exerted a force of 1,000N, but experiences only a net force of 833.33N, a loss of 833N - 1000N = -166.667 B

A + B = 0 <- Newton's Third Law

Yes, and those +/- 1000N between horse and ground are also a Newton 3rd pair.

Likes Crosshair

1. How does Newton's Third Law apply to a rocket in space?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of a rocket in space, this means that the force of the rocket pushing outwards is met with an equal and opposite force pushing the rocket in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's Third Law affect the movement of a rocket in space?

Newton's Third Law plays a crucial role in the movement of a rocket in space. As the rocket's engines push exhaust gases outwards, the rocket is pushed in the opposite direction with an equal force. This allows the rocket to move forward and accelerate.

3. Does Newton's Third Law still apply in the vacuum of space?

Yes, Newton's Third Law still applies in the vacuum of space. The absence of air or any other medium does not affect the principle of equal and opposite forces acting on objects.

4. How is Newton's Third Law related to the conservation of momentum in a rocket?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the conservation of momentum in a rocket. As the rocket's engines push out exhaust gases, the rocket is propelled forward with an equal force in the opposite direction. This causes a change in momentum, but the total momentum of the rocket and exhaust gases remains constant.

5. Can Newton's Third Law explain how a rocket is able to travel in space?

Yes, Newton's Third Law provides a key explanation for how a rocket is able to travel in space. The principle of equal and opposite forces allows the rocket to push against the exhaust gases and move forward. This allows the rocket to overcome the force of gravity and travel through space.