NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced )

In summary, a more advanced and thorough treatment of NMR/MRI might be of value to a physics audience if it was aimed at providing more image/position information than is available from NMR in a uniform magnetic field. Paul Lauterbur and Peter Mansfield won a Nobel Prize for developing the technique that gives imaging information, and Slichter's book from 1978 is a good reference.
MisterX
Suppose I want to learn about MRI. Some of the introductory treatments I have seen aimed at engineers or imaging professionals may not assume much more than sophomore level physics competency. I know some advanced QM and statistical physics so I am wondering about the existence or value of a more advanced and thorough treatment of the subject of NMR/MRI, especially if aimed at a physics audience. What books or sources should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
C.P. Slichter's book is quite good for NMR, especially the first 3 or 4 chapters. One thing that Slichter's book doesn't explain is something I read by googling the subject a while back: The NMR in a uniform magnetic field gives no imaging information because the resonant absorption occurs everywhere in the sample at the same r-f frequency. Image/position information is obtained by introducing slight well-controlled gradients in the (static) magnetic field so that the location of the resonant r-f absorption is known. Paul Lauterbur and Peter Mansfield won a Nobel Prize in 2003 for developing the technique that gives imaging information. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Slichter's book dates back to about 1978, but it is quite good. Perhaps others can supply some information on more recent textbooks.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
C.P. Slichter's book is quite good for NMR, especially the first 3 or 4 chapters. One thing that Slichter's book doesn't explain is something I read by googling the subject a while back: The NMR in a uniform magnetic field gives no imaging information because the resonant absorption occurs everywhere in the sample at the same r-f frequency. Image/position information is obtained by introducing slight well-controlled gradients in the (static) magnetic field so that the location of the resonant r-f absorption is known. Paul Lauterbur and Peter Mansfield won a Nobel Prize in 2003 for developing the technique that gives imaging information. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Slichter's book dates back to about 1978, but it is quite good. Perhaps others can supply some information on more recent textbooks.
@MisterX Please read my input if you haven't already. I think you may find it of interest.

What is NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced)?

NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) or Medical Imaging (Advanced) is a non-invasive imaging technique that uses magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures.

How does NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) work?

NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) works by placing the patient inside a large magnet and sending radio waves into the body. The hydrogen atoms in the body's tissues emit a signal in response to the radio waves, which is then detected by a receiver and used to create an image.

What are the benefits of using NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced)?

NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) has many benefits, including its non-invasive nature, ability to produce high-resolution images, and its versatility in imaging different parts of the body. It also does not involve exposure to ionizing radiation, making it a safe option for patients.

What are the common uses for NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced)?

NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) is commonly used for diagnosing and monitoring various medical conditions, such as tumors, neurological disorders, and cardiovascular diseases. It is also used for research purposes to study the structure and function of different tissues and organs in the body.

Are there any risks associated with NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced)?

NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) is considered a safe procedure with minimal risks. However, individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers or metal implants, may not be eligible for NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced) due to the strong magnetic fields involved. It is important to inform your doctor of any medical devices or conditions before undergoing NMR or Medical Imaging (Advanced).