No right to remove account. No right to change nickname?

• Thread starter JJ91
  • Start date
I'll just add that the Data Protection Act 1998 is a UK law and Physics Forums is based in the USA. It is not required to comply with UK laws. Changing your nickname is also not possible, so your best option would be to send a PM to one of the Admins (Greg Bernhardt, Astronuc or Borek).In summary, the speaker was trying to remove their account and change their nickname on Physics Forums. However, it is not possible to do so and the Data Protection Act 1998, a UK law, does not apply to the website as it is based in the USA. The speaker is advised to send a private message to one of the Admins for assistance.
JJ91
I've tried to remove the account but looks like it's impossible?
Does Data Protection Act 1998 doesn't supposed to work everywhere?

is it also impossible to change my nickname?

Physics news on Phys.org
tomek91 said:
I've tried to remove the account but looks like it's impossible?

Sorry, what is your request? You want to change your username?

tomek91 said:

The Data Protection Act 1998 is a UK law. Physics Forums is based in the USA.

Send a PM to one of the Admins (Greg Bernhardt, Astronuc or Borek).

berkeman said:
Sorry, what is your request? You want to change your username?

Pretty much answered by jtbell.

Related to No right to remove account. No right to change nickname?

1. What does it mean when a user has "no right to remove account"?

This means that the user is not allowed to delete their account from the platform or website. They are required to keep their account active and cannot request for it to be removed.

2. Can a user still deactivate their account if they have "no right to remove account"?

Deactivating an account is different from removing it. If a user has no right to remove their account, they may still be able to deactivate it. This means that their account will be inactive but still exist on the platform.

3. Why would a platform or website have a "no right to remove account" policy?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possible reason is to maintain user data for security or legal purposes. Another reason could be to prevent users from deleting their account to avoid consequences for their actions on the platform.

4. Is it possible to change my username or nickname if there is "no right to change nickname"?

It depends on the specific platform or website. Some may allow users to change their username or nickname, while others may have a strict policy against it. It is best to check the platform's terms and conditions or contact their support team for more information.

5. Can I regain the right to remove my account or change my nickname?

Again, this would depend on the platform's policies. Some platforms may have an appeal process where users can request to have their account removed or nickname changed. It is important to follow the platform's guidelines and contact their support team for assistance.