Nomenclature, molecular mass, moles help (attempted problems already)

In summary, the conversation is about the person asking for help with some problems related to chemistry. They have uploaded screen captures of their attempts and are looking for feedback on whether they are correct or not. They specifically need help with a problem involving density and molecules. The expert advises them to review the definition of a mole and correct their calculations for the problem. Additionally, the expert reminds them that they still do not have a clear understanding of the concept of a mole.
Edin_Dzeko
Alright, below are screen captures of some work that I'm tackling. They show my attempts and answers at the problems. I would like to know whether I'm correct or wrong and how to correct the mistakes. The one I need most help with is, the one where you're given density and asked to find molecules. Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6668/molecules.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9577/nomenclature1.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9237/nomenclature2.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3218/mm1nl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many grams of water are in one mole? (Hint: review the definition of a mole)

SteamKing said:
How many grams of water are in one mole? (Hint: review the definition of a mole)

would I have to calculate it as so:

H: 2x(1.008)
O: 1x(16.00)
--------------
H2O:18.016 mol H20 ? and use that instead in the conversion factor?

What about my other problems. Are they okay?

You still are not understanding the concept of what a mole of a substance is.

Hello,

From looking at your work, it seems like you have a good understanding of nomenclature, molecular mass, and moles. Your answers for the first two problems in the nomenclature screenshot are correct. For the third problem, the correct name for the compound is potassium nitrate (KNO3).

In terms of the molecular mass problem, your answer of 180 g/mol is correct. To find the number of moles, you need to divide the given mass (0.1 g) by the molecular mass (180 g/mol). This gives you 0.00056 moles.

For the last problem, where you are given density and asked to find the number of molecules, you need to use the formula: density = mass/volume. Rearranging this equation, you get mass = density x volume. Plugging in the given values, you get 1.5 g = 1.33 g/cm3 x volume. Solving for volume, you get 1.13 cm3.

To find the number of molecules, you need to convert the given density into moles. To do this, you need to use the formula: moles = mass/molecular mass. Rearranging this equation, you get molecular mass = mass/moles. Plugging in the given values, you get molecular mass = 1.5 g/1.33 g/cm3 = 1.13 g/cm3.

Using the molecular mass you calculated earlier (180 g/mol), you can now find the number of moles by dividing the given mass (1.5 g) by the molecular mass (180 g/mol). This gives you 0.0083 moles. Finally, to find the number of molecules, you need to use Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 molecules/mol) and multiply it by the number of moles. This gives you 4.99 x 10^21 molecules.

I hope this helps and clarifies any mistakes you may have made. Keep up the good work!

Related to Nomenclature, molecular mass, moles help (attempted problems already)

1. What is the difference between nomenclature and molecular mass?

Nomenclature is the system of naming chemical compounds, while molecular mass is the sum of the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule.

2. How are moles used in chemistry?

Moles are used to measure the amount of a substance in a given sample. One mole of a substance is equal to its molecular mass in grams, and this allows for easy conversion between mass and number of particles.

3. Can you provide an example of nomenclature for a chemical compound?

Sodium chloride is an example of nomenclature for a chemical compound. Its systematic name is sodium chloride, but it is commonly known as table salt.

4. How do you calculate molecular mass?

To calculate molecular mass, you add up the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule. Atomic masses can be found on the periodic table and are measured in atomic mass units (amu).

5. Why is nomenclature important in chemistry?

Nomenclature is important in chemistry because it allows scientists to have a universal system for naming and communicating about chemical compounds. This helps to avoid confusion and ensures accurate representation of compounds in research and experiments.