What Are Common Mistakes in Naming Complex Ions?

In summary, the conversation was about naming complex ions and the rules that the textbook provides for doing so. The rules include starting with negative ligands, using roman numerals for the central ion, and adding -ate if the complex ion is negatively charged. The question was whether the example given, tetrachloromercurate(II), was correct. The answer was yes and a resource for further information on naming complex ions was provided.
skander

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble with naming complex ions. My textbook has given me a few rules but the examples they give seem to contradict them. These are all the rules I know, can someone tell me if they are right and if I am missing any?

Homework Equations

Start naming with negative ligands then neutral and then the central ion using roman numerals such as di, tri, tetra, penta, and hexa.
Write in parantheses the oxidation of the central ion.
If the complex ion is negatively charged add the suffix -ate.

The Attempt at a Solution

So [HgCl4]2- should be tetrachloromercurate(II)

Is this answer and the equations correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your equations and attempt at a solution are mostly correct. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when naming complex ions:

1. The negative ligands should be listed in alphabetical order before the neutral ligands. For example, [Fe(CN)6]4- should be named hexacyanoferrate(II), not cyanohexaferrate(II).

2. The roman numerals indicate the oxidation state of the central ion, not the number of ligands. So for [HgCl4]2-, the correct name would be tetrachloromercurate(II), not tetrachloromercurate(IV).

3. When naming complex ions with multiple central ions, use the prefixes bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, etc. For example, [Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl2 would be named pentaamminechlorocobalt(III) chloride.

4. If the complex ion is positively charged, the suffix -ium is added to the central ion's name. For example, [Cu(NH3)4]2+ would be named tetraamminecopper(II) ion.

Overall, it's important to follow the correct order and use the correct prefixes and suffixes when naming complex ions. I would suggest practicing with more examples and consulting with your textbook or professor if you continue to have trouble.

Related to What Are Common Mistakes in Naming Complex Ions?

1. What is the purpose of nomenclature of complex ions?

The purpose of nomenclature of complex ions is to provide a systematic way of naming and identifying complex ions, which are compounds consisting of a central metal ion surrounded by ligands. This allows for clear communication and understanding among scientists and prevents confusion or ambiguity in chemical reactions and formulas.

2. How are complex ions named using the nomenclature system?

Complex ions are named by first listing the name of the central metal ion, followed by the names of the ligands in alphabetical order, and ending with the overall charge of the complex. If the ligand has a prefix, such as "di-" or "tri-", it is included in the alphabetization. The charge of the metal ion is also indicated in Roman numerals in parentheses after the metal's name.

3. What are some common ligands used in complex ions?

Some common ligands used in complex ions include water (H2O), ammonia (NH3), cyanide (CN-), and chloride (Cl-). These ligands can be monodentate, meaning they bind to the metal ion with one point of attachment, or polydentate, meaning they can bind to the metal ion with multiple points of attachment.

4. How does the coordination number affect the naming of a complex ion?

The coordination number, which is the number of ligands attached to the central metal ion, affects the naming of a complex ion. The coordination number is indicated in the name of the complex using Greek prefixes (e.g. tetra-, penta-, hexa-) before the word "coordination." For example, a complex with six ligands attached to the central metal ion would be named hexacoordinate.

5. Are there any exceptions or special cases in the nomenclature of complex ions?

There are a few exceptions or special cases in the nomenclature of complex ions. For example, some complex ions have common names that are used instead of the systematic naming system. Additionally, for complex ions with multiple metal ions, the name is written in alphabetical order according to the metal ions' symbols, rather than the order in which they are bonded to the ligands. In these cases, parentheses are used to indicate the number of each type of metal ion present.