Non-conservative work energy theorem and potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ramp, a block, and various forces. The confusion arises when using the work energy theorem and calculating the block's potential energy. After analyzing the problem and clarifying any misunderstandings, it is determined that another energy source was not accounted for, leading to the discrepancy in calculations.
blueblast
Here is problem I quickly made up:

Suppose there is a ramp with a height of 6 meters and length of 12 meters. A block of 5 kg is pushed up to the top of the ramp with a constant velocity. The force of friction is 15 N.

Here's the confusion:

By using the non-conservative force work energy theorem, Work done by friction(Wf) = (KEf-KEi) + (PEf-PEi).

Since the block is pushed up at a constant velocity, the change in KE is zero. And since the block start from the ground, PEi is zero. So, Wf = PEf. Wf = friction * distance = 15 N * 12 meters = 180. So PEf = 180.

However, mgh says that potential energy is 5 kg * 6 meters * 9.8 m/s^2 =294.

Could someone please tell me where I am wrong? A diagram of the problem is attached just in case my words weren't clear.
Untitled drawing (3).png

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (3).png
    Untitled drawing (3).png
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,740
Physics news on Phys.org
blueblast said:
Since the block is pushed up
That sounds like a source of energy that you have not accounted for.

Friction is not the only force acting on the block. What makes the block to go up the ramp?

jbriggs444 said:
That sounds like a source of energy that you have not accounted for.
Ah, I see my mistake now. Thanks!

1. What is the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem?

The Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem states that the total work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy plus the change in its potential energy.

2. How is Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem different from the Conservative Work Energy Theorem?

The Conservative Work Energy Theorem only considers the work done by conservative forces, while the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem takes into account the work done by non-conservative forces as well.

3. What is the role of potential energy in the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem?

Potential energy is an important component of the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem as it represents the stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy. Changes in potential energy can affect the total work done on an object.

4. Can potential energy be negative in the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem?

Yes, potential energy can be negative in the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem. This may occur when the reference point for potential energy is chosen in a way that the object has a lower potential energy at a certain position compared to its starting position.

5. How can the Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem be applied in real-life situations?

The Non-conservative Work Energy Theorem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the work done by friction in stopping a moving object, determining the energy required to lift an object to a certain height, and analyzing the energy changes in simple machines.