Nonsense, gibberish, crackpot.

• Thread starter sprinklehopper
  • Start date
In summary: DO have an IR forum that was clearly indicated in the forum guidelines designed for "testing" new ideas here.In summary, the forum has strict guidelines and policies in place that were made clear to all users upon sign up. The moderators have the right to take action if these guidelines are not followed. There is an IR forum available for testing new ideas. The forum has gone through improvements and is not meant for endless philosophical debates. The offensive terms used in conversations should be replaced with more civil and respectful language. And if there are any issues with a moderator's action, it should be addressed directly to them or the administrator.
sprinklehopper
ZapperZ said:
But you would have known the CLEAR policy of this forum when you first signed up! Did you not read the Guidelnes, or did you think we were joking? You would have been aware of the strict policy of this forum and what possible actions that would have been taken. You continued ANYWAY!

... and please note that we DO have an IR forum that was clearly indicated in the forum guidelines designed for "testing" new ideas here.

And I would also say that you have the lack of empirical data to make sufficient conclusion about the progress of this forum SINCE the stricter rules have been instituted, and what it was before. If you are that concerned about methodology, then maybe you should be equally concerned about the validity of your 'data' to arrive at all your conclusion about PF.

Zz.

Theres nothing worse than getting some guy post you comments or accusations, and then lock a reply. As if i was unreasonable.

There is no argument from me on the point you made. I read on a previous thread how this forum has gone through drastic improvements.

I stuck myself in the maths beginners section. That seems appropriate. I'm not here to test new ideas. They already have been tested by meta-analysis in structural neurochemistry and genetics, and approved by my peers.

What I'm trying to do is cross these results into another discipline, by the process which requires me to learn and and transcribe them to maths. Immediately that makes me a beginner, even while getting into the spirit, and doing what I'm asked, buying books, refining what I'm trying to express, still I'm greeted with overtly unpleasant terms, i see repeatedly used here.

Nonsense, crackpot and gibberish.

Whats happened is that there has been a bad history here, and you've got stuck in some kind of automatic protection scheme, which involves rattling of accusations ad hoc. It also seems like everyone copies everyone else in this. The same insults are repeated, by several different people, you begin to wonder if any kind of dialouge is taking place at all.

What i think ends up happening is instilling a false ultra politeness, in those visiting students in need.

I've had a similar kind of online experience in of all places of racist forums. Where those guys are so para'd up about american politics, that the forum consists of gang of mods which repeatedly and at the drop of the wrong word, wrongly accuse about every other new visitor of being brainwashed, iberals or jew trolls.

Interestingly that racist forum "stormfront" is also doing very well now, and refers to their pre-emptive insult policy as a key factor.

You've improved your forum, and gotten a new framework. Obviously it had previously been a bit of theoretical free for all, in the spirit which was an online trend a while back. This frustrated and wasted a lot of time.

Its time to chill out. your forum is not its going to revert,as the problem you had was a general one which was the spirit of the internet a while ago, when out planet was in less troubled times. This is not the only forum which has honed its rules like this. In the past year, I feel its happening just about everywhere. The age of endless philosophy and argument for the sake of itself has passed.

If you want a decent atmosphere, I am sure you can maintain this system, by replacing these offensive terms and imbue a civilised tone. These terms were directed at me as a beginner. i then found them offensive, spent about half the thread not talking about how to learn maths, but debating netiqutte and being on the defensive.

And then i am then accused of bringing a bad tone for doing this.

Since this is the feedback thread. I recommend the following replacements for the inflammatory and offensive terms.

Nonsense with wrong
Gibberish with Not understandable
Crackpot with get with program.

Of that ilk anyway. Thats my last word. I'll repeat, There is nothing wrong with your forum or its rules. Its been very helpfull. But too many problems with the tone brought by the offensive terms.

It would be for your own interest to figure out a better means of dialouge.

Physics news on Phys.org
sprinklehopper said:
Theres nothing worse than getting some guy post you comments or accusations, and then lock a reply. As if i was unreasonable.

And you jump to erroneous conclusion too fast. *I* didn't lock the thread.

There is no argument from me on the point you made. I read on a previous thread how this forum has gone through drastic improvements.

I stuck myself in the maths beginners section. That seems appropriate. I'm not here to test new ideas. They already have been tested by meta-analysis in structural neurochemistry and genetics, and approved by my peers.

What I'm trying to do is cross these results into another discipline, by the process which requires me to learn and and transcribe them to maths. Immediately that makes me a beginner, even while getting into the spirit, and doing what I'm asked, buying books, refining what I'm trying to express, still I'm greeted with overtly unpleasant terms, i see repeatedly used here.

That has NOTHING to do with me. It does, however, have a lot to do with me when you make an over-generalized categorization of this forum in this section. As has been mentioned before, if you have a specific issue with a moderator's action, take it up to THAT moderator via PM. If that led to unsatisfactory result, bring it up to the Administrator! But your blanket accusation, and by your inclusion of the names of physicists, implied an attack on all of us here, and thus my response.

Again, you AGREED to those terms. We could have asked for UNREASONABLE conditions for your stay here, and those would be well within our rights. This point is VERY clear. If you, however, believe those guidelines were applied incorrectly to you, then its ANOTHER matter. But don't complain about these guidelines AFTER you have agreed to them. It makes no sense!

Zz.

It would be for your own interest to figure out a better means of dialouge.
Maybe you should consider the possibility that the problem doesn't lie with others? People weren't commenting on your attitude just to hear themselves speak. The reason I closed your original thread in the math forum was due to your attitude.

In fact, it was your intellectual dishonesty that was the deciding factor -- while I was trying to decide whether to let the post continue, I noticed that you tried to make it sound as if you had never used the term "divergent series" when you had, in fact, used it twice, and even quoted yourself using the term later in that same post.

1. What is considered "nonsense" in the scientific community?

In the scientific community, "nonsense" refers to ideas or theories that lack evidence or logical reasoning, and therefore cannot be proven or accepted as valid explanations.

2. What is the difference between "gibberish" and "nonsense"?

While both terms refer to ideas or statements that lack coherence or meaning, "gibberish" specifically refers to unintelligible or nonsensical language, while "nonsense" can also encompass ideas or theories that are illogical or lack evidence.

3. How can someone be considered a "crackpot" in the scientific community?

In the scientific community, a "crackpot" is someone who promotes or holds onto ideas or theories that are widely considered to be false, unproven, or illogical. They often reject established scientific principles and present their ideas without proper evidence or reasoning.

4. Why is it important to distinguish between "nonsense", "gibberish", and "crackpot" ideas?

It is important to distinguish between these terms because they represent different levels of credibility in the scientific community. Nonsense and gibberish may simply be ideas with little evidence or logical reasoning, while crackpot ideas are often seen as completely baseless and can harm the credibility of the scientific community if given the same weight as legitimate theories.

5. How should the scientific community approach and address "nonsense", "gibberish", and "crackpot" ideas?

The scientific community should approach these ideas with skepticism and rigor, evaluating them based on evidence and logical reasoning. It is important to engage in open and respectful discussions and debates, but ultimately, ideas that lack credibility should not be given the same weight as scientifically validated theories.