Why Does the Summation Converge in l_1(R) but Not for the Sequence (1)?

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the Norms on Sequences Spaces notes say that ##|| ||_1## cannot be extended to the set of all real sequences. This means that Ʃ|xn| is not a finite number. We define l_1(R) as the set of all x such that Ʃ|xn| is not a finite number. It says that this summation converges, but to what? The notes also say that (1) is not in l_1(R) but 1/n^2 is. Can someone explain how these are determined?
bugatti79
Im trying to understand the following. We have l_1(R)=( x=x_n in l(R): summation from n=1 to infinity for absolute value of x_n). It says that this summation converges, but converges to what?

Also , its says (1) is not in l_1(R) but 1/n^2 is. Can some one explain how these are so.

This is not homework, just trying 2 gain an understanding. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clarify. What is l_1(R)? What is (1)? Also your parenthetical expression ( x=x_n etc.) is not very clear.

mathman said:
Please clarify. What is l_1(R)? What is (1)? Also your parenthetical expression ( x=x_n etc.) is not very clear.

Ok, I will include a few additional lines previous to it. We are examining norms on sequences spaces.
The notes say that ##|| ||_1## cannot be extended to the set of all real sequences
ie ##x=(1)=(1,1,1...)## ##||x||_1=1+1+1+1## does not exist. What does this mean?

So we define

##l_1(R)=\{x=(x_n) \in l(R) : Ʃ |x_n|\}## from n=1 to infinity.
It says this summation converges, but to what?

Then it says
eg ##(1) \notin l_1(R)## and ##1/n^2 \in l_1(R)##
How are these determined?

Thanks

bugatti79 said:
Ok, I will include a few additional lines previous to it. We are examining norms on sequences spaces.
The notes say that ##|| ||_1## cannot be extended to the set of all real sequences
ie ##x=(1)=(1,1,1...)## ##||x||_1=1+1+1+1## does not exist. What does this mean?
You're being a little sloppy here.
As you have defined x, ||x||1 = 1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1 + ..., not 1 + 1 + 1 + 1, which equals 4.

The expression "does not exist" here means that ||x||1 is not a finite number. I.e., the sum is not finite.
bugatti79 said:
So we define

##l_1(R)=\{x=(x_n) \in l(R) : Ʃ |x_n|\}## from n=1 to infinity.
It says this summation converges, but to what?
Have you omitted something here? The usual way of saying a summation converges is to write it as Ʃ |xn| < ∞.
bugatti79 said:
Then it says
eg ##(1) \notin l_1(R)## and ##1/n^2 \in l_1(R)##
How are these determined?
Ʃ 1 = 1 + 1 + 1 + ..., which is divergent.
Ʃ 1/n2 is a well known convergent series (a p-series, with p = 2).

Mark44 said:
You're being a little sloppy here.
As you have defined x, ||x||1 = 1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1 + ..., not 1 + 1 + 1 + 1, which equals 4.

Ok

Mark44 said:
The expression "does not exist" here means that ||x||1 is not a finite number. I.e., the sum is not finite.
Have you omitted something here? The usual way of saying a summation converges is to write it as Ʃ |xn| < ∞.

I am looking at some ones notes. Yes you are correct. It appears in another similar example.
It seems against my intuition. Isn't it not approaching infinity? How would it converge to < infinity?

Mark44 said:
Ʃ 1 = 1 + 1 + 1 + ..., which is divergent.
Ʃ 1/n2 is a well known convergent series (a p-series, with p = 2).

bugatti79 said:
I am looking at some ones notes. Yes you are correct. It appears in another similar example.
It seems against my intuition. Isn't it not approaching infinity? How would it converge to < infinity?

I gave two examples, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to by "it."
Ʃ1 diverges
Ʃ1/n2 converges, so Ʃ1/n2 < ∞.

Mark44 said:
I gave two examples, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to by "it."
Ʃ1 diverges
Ʃ1/n2 converges, so Ʃ1/n2 < ∞.

Ok, I think I get you now. Thanks

Related to Why Does the Summation Converge in l_1(R) but Not for the Sequence (1)?

What are norms in sequence spaces?

Norms in sequence spaces are mathematical concepts used to measure the length or size of a sequence of numbers. They provide a way to quantify the magnitude of a sequence and determine its convergence or divergence.

What is the purpose of norms in sequence spaces?

The purpose of norms in sequence spaces is to provide a way to measure the distance between two sequences and to determine whether a sequence converges or not. They also help in defining complete and compact spaces, which are important concepts in functional analysis.

What are the most commonly used norms in sequence spaces?

The most commonly used norms in sequence spaces are the $\ell^p$-norms, where $p \geq 1$. These norms are defined as $\|x\|_p = \left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |x_n|^p\right)^{\frac{1}{p}}$, and they are used to measure the size of a sequence in $p$-th power. Another commonly used norm is the supremum norm, defined as $\|x\|_{\infty} = \sup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} |x_n|$, which measures the maximum magnitude of a sequence.

How do norms in sequence spaces relate to convergence?

Norms in sequence spaces are closely related to convergence. A sequence is said to converge if and only if its norm approaches zero as the sequence progresses. In other words, a sequence converges if its norm tends to zero. On the other hand, a sequence diverges if its norm does not tend to zero.

Can norms in sequence spaces be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, norms in sequence spaces have applications in various areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, topology, and harmonic analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering to study differential equations and other mathematical models. The concept of norms in sequence spaces is a fundamental tool in many mathematical theories and has numerous practical applications.