Notation for infinite iteration

For example, such functions on the unit disc can be differentiated term by term, and the derivative is again an analytic function on the unit disc. Also, there is a generalization of the Cauchy integral formula that applies to such infinite compositions.
Ssnow
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I want to know what are the possible notations for the infinite self-iteraction of a function
Hi Physics Forum, I want to ask if there is an "appropriate" notation for the infinite self-iteraction of an analytic function ##f(x)##, that is ##f(f(f(...)))##. For example I know ##f^{(+\infty)}(x)## can be a way, but there is an operator notation as for the infinite sum ##\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}f_{n}## ...
Thank you,
Ssnow

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ssnow said:
Summary: I want to know what are the possible notations for the infinite self-iteraction of a function

Hi Physics Forum, I want to ask if there is an "appropriate" notation for the infinite self-iteraction of an analytic function ##f(x)##, that is ##f(f(f(...)))##. For example I know ##f^{(+\infty)}(x)## can be a way, but there is an operator notation as for the infinite sum ##\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}f_{n}## ...
Thank you,
Ssnow
The sum is usually not abbreviated, except you simply call it ##S.## The iterations have to be defined in order to avoid confusion. You already used the most common usage: ##f^{(n+1)}(x):=f^{(n)}(f(x)).## Since ##f^{(n+1)}(x) ## is often used as ##f^{(n+1)}(x)=\dfrac{d}{dx}f^{(n)}(x),## it requires an explicit definition. Hence, after defining it, you have
$$
S(x):=\sum_{k=1}^\infty f^{(k)}(x)
$$

Last edited:
Likes Janosh89, topsquark and FactChecker
I do not think there is a notation whose meaning would be commonly recognized by mathematicians. I recommend that you clearly define one of your own where you need it.
UPDATE: I think that @pasmith's notation, ##\bigcirc_{n=1}^\infty f##, in post #4 serves the purpose very well and might be a standard that I was not familiar with.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and Ssnow
Ssnow said:
Summary: I want to know what are the possible notations for the infinite self-iteraction of a function

Thank you,
Ssnow

Code:
\DeclareMathOperator{bigcomp}{\bigcirc}
\begin{split}
\bigcomp_{n=1}^N f_n &= f_N \circ f_{N - 1} \circ \cdots \circ f_2 \circ f_1  \\
\bigcomp_{n=1}^\infty f &= f \circ f \circ f \circ \cdots \end{split}

[tex]
\DeclareMathOperator{bigcomp}{\bigcirc}
\begin{split}
\bigcomp_{n=1}^N f_n &= f_N \circ f_{N_-1} \circ \cdots \circ f_2 \circ f_1 \\
\bigcomp_{n=1}^\infty f &= f \circ f \circ f \circ \cdots \end{split}
[/tex] (It seemed logical to apply [itex]f_1[/itex] first and [itex]f_N[/itex] last.)

There may be a way to make LaTeX put the limits above and below the \bigcomp in displayed formulas, but \limits on its own won't do it.

It is, however, incredibly easy for the limit to not exist, as for example if [tex]f : [0,1] \to [0,1] : x \mapsto 4x(1-x)[/tex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] falls on one of the many unstable periodic orbits of that map, or falls on the chaotic attractor.

Likes Ssnow and FactChecker
I think the notation of @pasmith is appropriate,
thank you!
Ssnow

[tex]\mathop L\limits_{k = 1}^n {g_k}(z) = {g_n} \circ {g_{n - 1}} \circ \cdots \circ {g_1}(z)[/tex]
[tex]{G_n}(z) = \mathop R\limits_{k = 1}^n {g_k}(z)[/tex][tex]\mathop L\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {g_k}(z) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } {G_n}(z)[/tex]
and
[tex]\mathop R\limits_{k = 1}^n {f_k}(z) = {f_1} \circ {f_2} \circ \cdots \circ {f_n}(z)[/tex], [tex]{F_n}(z) = \mathop R\limits_{k = 1}^n {f_k}(z)[/tex]
[tex]\mathop R\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {f_k}(z) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } {F_n}(z)[/tex]
See the Wikipedia article on infinite compositions of analytic functions. There is a fairly well developed elementary theory of infinite compositions of complex functions, even functions in Banach spaces.

Last edited:
Likes Ssnow

1. What is "Notation for infinite iteration"?

"Notation for infinite iteration" is a mathematical notation used to represent the concept of repeating a process an infinite number of times. It is commonly used in fields such as calculus and set theory.

2. How is infinite iteration represented in mathematical notation?

Infinite iteration is often represented using the symbol "∞" (infinity) or the phrase "n → ∞" (n approaching infinity). This indicates that the process continues indefinitely without a specific endpoint.

3. What is the purpose of using "Notation for infinite iteration"?

The purpose of using this notation is to make complex mathematical concepts more concise and easier to understand. It also allows for the representation of infinite processes, which may not be possible using traditional notation.

4. Can "Notation for infinite iteration" be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, "Notation for infinite iteration" can also be used in other fields such as computer science and physics. In these fields, it may be used to represent infinite loops or infinite sequences, for example.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Notation for infinite iteration"?

One limitation of this notation is that it can be difficult to visualize or conceptualize an infinite process. It also does not provide specific information about the rate or speed of the iteration, which may be important in some contexts.