Nuclear backpack bomb, glow in the dark paint

In summary, there is a discussion about whether using glow in the dark paint on a miniature bomb would increase its yield. It is unlikely that tritium-based paint would be used, and more likely that phosphorescent paint would be used. The amount of tritium, radium, or any other substance used in the paint would be negligible and would not have any impact on the bomb's yield. It is also mentioned that having tritium on the outside of the bomb's casing would limit any potential fusion effect.
Jeremy Thomson
TL;DR Summary
Would tritium glow in the dark paint increase the yield of a backpack nuke?

"Glow in the dark paint was applied to the lock, so a soldier could unlock the miniature bomb in the dark".

I'm thinking that its unlikely 'glow in the dark paint' would be tritium based. More likely radium, which was used up to WWII for instrument dials etc. But I don't know. Backpack nukes are inefficient dial-a-yield devices that probably mess with the detonation sequence of the implosion to reduce yield. Having a bunch of fusion neutrons from tritium 'paint' would certainly increase yield, a little or a lot I don't know. Having tritium on the outside of the casing would limit the fusion effect, a thousandfold? Tritium boosting in the core might double the yield of a 20kt device to 40kt, basically giving you an extra 20kt. A thousand times less is 20 ton, if the backpack was dialled down to 10 ton yield but got an unexpected 20 ton fusion neutron boost, people might be surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Special_Atomic_Demolition_Munition_(SADM).webm

Jeremy Thomson

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jeremy Thomson said:
Summary:: Would tritium glow in the dark paint increase the yield of a backpack nuke?

Having a bunch of fusion neutrons from tritium 'paint' would certainly increase yield, a little or a lot I don't know

Unless you can provide credible links to good info, I seriously doubt that it would happen
Jeremy Thomson said:
Having tritium on the outside of the casing would limit the fusion effect, a thousandfold? Tritium boosting in the core might double the yield of a 20kt device to 40kt, basically giving you an extra 20kt. A thousand times less is 20 ton, if the backpack was dialled down to 10 ton yield but got an unexpected 20 ton fusion neutron boost, people might be surprised.

You are just making up numbers. I don't see any scientific possibility of a small region of a thin paint layer
having any effect what-so-ever

Dave

Likes russ_watters
The amount of tritium, radium, or whatever is used in the paint is completely negligible, and it is outside the area where the conditions are right for fusion anyway. Tritium outside has zero impact on the yield.

Uranium outside might increase the yield as it can be split by neutrons escaping from the core, but you would need a relevant quantity of it.

Likes DEvens, sysprog and davenn
I would be doubting that it would be Tritium based anyway. Much more likely to be the much easier phosphorescent type paint. This is a chemical that, when exposed to near-ultraviolet, will glow softly for some hours afterward.

1. What is a nuclear backpack bomb?

A nuclear backpack bomb, also known as a "backpack nuke", is a type of nuclear weapon that is small enough to be carried in a backpack. It typically has a yield of less than 10 kilotons and is designed to be used in tactical situations.

2. How does a nuclear backpack bomb work?

A nuclear backpack bomb works by using a small amount of nuclear material, such as plutonium or uranium, to create a chain reaction of nuclear fission. This releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat, light, and radiation, causing a powerful explosion.

3. Is it possible to make a nuclear backpack bomb?

Technically, yes, it is possible to make a nuclear backpack bomb. However, it requires highly advanced knowledge and resources, and it is illegal for individuals or non-state actors to possess or use nuclear weapons.

4. What is glow in the dark paint?

Glow in the dark paint is a type of paint that contains phosphors, which are substances that emit light after being exposed to a source of energy, such as light or electricity. This causes the paint to glow in the dark.

5. How is glow in the dark paint related to nuclear backpack bombs?

Glow in the dark paint is not directly related to nuclear backpack bombs. However, some nuclear materials, such as tritium, can be used to create phosphors for glow in the dark paint. This has led to concerns about the illegal trafficking of nuclear materials for use in making glow in the dark paint.