Nuclear Fusion Rockets v.s Fission

In summary, nuclear fusion rockets have the potential to reach 10% the speed of light, while nuclear fission rockets can only reach 5%. However, NASA is currently working on a spacecraft that can make a one-way trip from Earth to Mars in just two months, which is faster than the current six-month journey. This is due to the fact that light takes about 10 minutes to reach Mars, meaning that a fusion rocket could theoretically travel there at 10% the speed of light in just over 3 hours, including deceleration time. However, the reality is that current rocket technology does not allow for continuous acceleration and deceler
you are basically saying its too complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly is complicated.

I know this is one of Zubrin's ideas (http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw56.html) , but I'd have to review the details of his calculations, particularly the efficiency of the fission process.

It is very easy to consider Isp = vex/g, but is the vex based on the actual physics. If only the water is considered, then the calculation of Isp is incorrect. One must consider the presence of U and fission products in the stream. I would be interested in Zubrin's core design.

The other aspect is the materials degradation (corrosion/erosion) - which I suspect may not have been addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually i was thinking about that while I read your response yesterday, but i was unfuitful coming up with a fission chamber that would move up the rocket at the rate that metal errored away.

Arian said:
actually i was thinking about that while I read your response yesterday, but i was unfuitful coming up with a fission chamber that would move up the rocket at the rate that metal errored away.
Well there is such a concept using Am-242m which undergoes spontaneous fission and has a reasonable fission cross-section. But the spontaneous fissioning is also a problem for handling and assembly. The spontaneous fission cannot be switched off and on - it is continuously on.

Erosion is a problem not only for fission systems, but any high temperature system, particularly where flow is involved.