Number of natural numbers that have primitive roots

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the number of natural numbers between $2$ and $n$ that have primitive roots, which can be done by finding the number of primes between $2$ and $n^{\frac{1}{k}}$. However, the density of primes can only be used to approximate this number, and to calculate the limit $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{n}}$ where $a_n$ is the number of natural numbers with primitive roots, the actual number is not necessary.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

How can we calculate the number of natural numbers between $2$ and $n$ that have primitive roots?

Let $m$ be a positive integer.
Then $g$ is a primitive root modulo $m$, with $(g,m)=1$, if the modulo of $g\in (Z/m)^{\star}$ is a generator of the group.

We have that $g$ is a primitive root modulo $m$ if it is a generator of a group, i.e. $m$ has a primitive root if $\mathbb{Z}_m$ is cyclic, right?

$\mathbb{Z}_m$ is cyclic if $m=1,2,4$ or $m=p^k$ or $m=2\cdot p^k$ for $p$ prime.

That means that the number of natural numbers that have a primitive root is $\#\{1,2,4,p^k, 2\cdot p^k\}$ for $p$ prime.

So we have to calculate the number of primes between $2$ and $n^{\frac{1}{k}}$ to calculate then the number of elements of the form $p^k$ and $2\cdot p^k$.

Have I understood that correctly? :unsure:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks about right. :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Looks about right. :unsure:

To calculate the number of these primes do we use the density of primes? :unsure:

mathmari said:
To calculate the number of these primes do we use the density of primes?
We can only approximate the density of primes.
So we cannot use it to find an actual number.
Assuming that we want a 'hard' number, I think we should express it in terms like 'the number of primes between $2$ and $n$'. :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We can only approximate the density of primes.
So we cannot use it to find an actual number.
Assuming that we want a 'hard' number, I think we should express it in terms like 'the number of primes between $2$ and $n$'. :unsure:

Actually I want to calculate the limit $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{n}}$ where $a_n$ is the above number. So do we need the actual number to calculate this limit? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Actually I want to calculate the limit $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{n}}$ where $a_n$ is the above number. So do we need the actual number to calculate this limit?
No. I think we can use the density of primes to calculate that limit. :unsure:

1. What is the definition of a primitive root?

A primitive root of a number n is an integer r such that every positive integer less than n and relatively prime to n can be expressed as a power of r modulo n.

2. How many natural numbers have primitive roots?

There are infinitely many natural numbers that have primitive roots. This includes all prime numbers and certain composite numbers such as 2, 4, p^k, and 2p^k, where p is an odd prime and k is a positive integer.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the number of natural numbers with primitive roots?

Yes, there is a formula known as the Artin's conjecture which states that the number of natural numbers less than or equal to x that have primitive roots is approximately 0.373x for large x.

4. Can a number have more than one primitive root?

No, a number can have at most one primitive root. If a number has more than one primitive root, then it is not a primitive root modulo n.

5. How are primitive roots used in cryptography?

Primitive roots are used in cryptography to generate large prime numbers for use in public key encryption algorithms such as the Diffie-Hellman key exchange and the RSA algorithm. They are also used in the generation of pseudorandom numbers for secure communication.