Number of Non-Fiction Humourous Books for Children in a Bookstore

In summary, there are a total of 54 books in the bookstore, with 28 being fictional. Out of these, 12 are humorous fiction, 8 are children's fiction, and 3 are humorous fiction for children. Additionally, there are 10 serious non-fiction books for adults. Using the equation n(total) = n(C) + n(F) + n(H) – n(C + F) – n(C + H) – n(F + H) + n(F + C + H), it can be determined that there are 2 non-fiction humor books for children.
kerrwilk

Homework Statement

There are 54 books in a book store: 28 are fiction, 21 are humour and 17 are children’s books. If 12 of the books are humourous fiction, 8 are children’s fiction, 3 are humourous fiction for children and 10 are serious non-fiction for adults, how many books are non-fiction humour for children.

Homework Equations

n(total) = n(C) + n(F) + n(H) – n(C + F) – n(C + H) – n(F + H) + n(F + C + H)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x= the number of non-fiction humour for children.

n(total) = n(C) + n(F) + n(H) – n(C + F) – n(C + H) – n(F + H) + n(F + C + H)
44 = (9-x+5+3+x) + (11+9+3+5) + (9+3+x+9-x) – (5+3) – (3+x) – (3+9) + 3
44 = 46 –x
-2 = -x
x=2

I am a bit confused by the wording. Does "28 are fiction" mean that there are 28 books that are only fiction (and nothing else) or does it mean there are 28 fictional books including the humourous fiction and children’s fiction? I took it to mean the latter. Did I do this correctly? Thanks for your help.

My Diagram is attached.

Attachments

• Venn 2.jpg
    Venn 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're correct in saying that there are 28 fictional books including the humorous fiction and children's fiction since if there were 28 purely fictional stories that were nothing else you have to have more than 54 total books.

Looks good to me...

That's exactly how I'd solve it.

Thanks for your help.

1. How many non-fiction humorous books for children are typically found in a bookstore?

The number of non-fiction humorous books for children found in a bookstore can vary greatly depending on the size and type of bookstore. However, on average, a bookstore may have anywhere from 20 to 100 non-fiction humorous books for children in stock.

2. What age range are these non-fiction humorous books geared towards?

Non-fiction humorous books for children can cover a wide range of ages, but they are typically geared towards children between the ages of 6 and 12. However, some books may be suitable for younger or older children as well.

3. What are some popular titles and authors of non-fiction humorous books for children?

Some popular titles and authors of non-fiction humorous books for children include "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney, "Who Was?" series by various authors, and "Awkward" by Svetlana Chmakova.

4. Are these books educational in addition to being humorous?

Many non-fiction humorous books for children are indeed educational. They often cover topics such as history, science, and biographies in a fun and engaging way, making learning enjoyable for children.

5. Can non-fiction humorous books for children be beneficial for a child's development?

Yes, non-fiction humorous books can be very beneficial for a child's development. These books not only promote reading skills, but also help develop a child's sense of humor, critical thinking, and knowledge about various subjects.