Number of ways to choose a pair of distinct number

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of ways to choose two distinct numbers from a set of 49 such that the difference between the numbers is 3. The three options given are 141, 144, and 147. The correct answer is 49x3-6=141.
songoku

Homework Statement

The number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers a and b from the set {1, 2, 3, ...49} such that |a - b| ≤ 3 is
a. 141
b. 144
c. 147
d. 150
e. none of the above

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Is a = 41 and b = 42 considered the same as a = 42 or b = 41? Or they are two different cases?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

The number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers a and b from the set {1, 2, 3, ...49} such that |a - b| ≤ 3 is
a. 141
b. 144
c. 147
d. 150
e. none of the above

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Is a = 41 and b = 42 considered the same as a = 42 or b = 41? Or they are two different cases?

Thanks
I would say that because the question asks for "distinct" pairs, order does not matter. So [42,41] is not distinct from [41,42].

AM

Likes songoku
Andrew Mason said:
I would say that because the question asks for "distinct" pairs, order does not matter. So [42,41] is not distinct from [41,42].

AM
If the question asks for "ordered pair" then [41,42] is different from [42, 41]?

Thanks

I think the correct answer is 49x3-6=141

The way I wrote it 49x3-6 might help you to find the algorithm that will do the counting for this problem. I think if you had to write a computer program to do the counting, what program would you do?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
If the question asks for "ordered pair" then [41,42] is different from [42, 41]?

Thanks
A distinct pair would be any two-element subset of the given set, ie. a and b being distinct elements in that set. Since the question merely asked for distinct pairs without referring to them as "ordered", then it would appear that order does not matter. The question should have asked for distinct unordered pairs to avoid confusion. So, yes, if the question had asked for distinct ordered pairs then {41,42} would be different than {42,41}.

AM

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
I think the correct answer is 49x3-6=141

The way I wrote it 49x3-6 might help you to find the algorithm that will do the counting for this problem. I think if you had to write a computer program to do the counting, what program would you do?

I am not required to do any programming right now so I don't know what program to use because I have not learned any.Thank you very much for the help AM and delta2

Likes Delta2

What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers?

The formula for calculating the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers is n*(n-1)/2, where n is the total number of numbers to choose from.

What is the difference between choosing a pair of distinct numbers and choosing a pair of identical numbers?

Choosing a pair of distinct numbers means selecting two different numbers from a given set, while choosing a pair of identical numbers means selecting two numbers that are the same from a given set.

How does the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers change as the total number of numbers increases?

As the total number of numbers increases, the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers also increases. This is because there are more options to choose from.

Can the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers be negative?

No, the number of ways to choose a pair of distinct numbers cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the number of possible combinations.

What is an example of a real-life situation where the concept of choosing a pair of distinct numbers is applicable?

An example of a real-life situation where the concept of choosing a pair of distinct numbers is applicable is in a lottery game. When a player chooses two numbers from a set of numbers, they are essentially choosing a pair of distinct numbers to play with.