Number series recognition software?

In summary, the conversation was about finding software that can recognize patterns in a series of numbers and possibly predict the next number. The example given was a sequence of binary digits that did not seem to have a visible pattern. Suggestions were made to look for the sequence in different ways, such as breaking it into segments and translating from binary. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of looking at the sequence as digital, where 0 represents off and 1 represents on.
fenian
Does anybody know if there is any software available that is capable of recognizing patterns in a series of numbers (and possibly predicting the next number to appear)?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for.

0111100100110000001011001101011010101000110010110101010110100010011001110100110101000100010101100000

I, personally, do not recognize any pattern in that sequence, whatsoever, but there there is one. This much I do know.

I have been looking all over the internet, trying to find something that will determine that kind of pattern, but have had no luck thus far. Maybe I'm just typing in the wrong thing to search for? I don't know, but if anybody has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That problem strikes me as computationally intractable. What would the program do? Check through a list of every conceivable relationship between elements of the string? Even if a string did have a pattern, it could very easily be visible only over the long term (i.e. millions of characters).

How do you know that there is a pattern, exactly? Humans beings are horrible judges; we tend to see patterns everywhere, even in completely random data (blame evolution). That sequence looks pretty much like what you would expect a random sequence to look like.

fenian said:
Does anybody know if there is any software available that is capable of recognizing patterns in a series of numbers (and possibly predicting the next number to appear)?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for.

0111100100110000001011001101011010101000110010110101010110100010011001110100110101000100010101100000

I, personally, do not recognize any pattern in that sequence, whatsoever, but there there is one. This much I do know.

I have been looking all over the internet, trying to find something that will determine that kind of pattern, but have had no luck thus far. Maybe I'm just typing in the wrong thing to search for? I don't know, but if anybody has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

You could easily write a little script to look up any sequence here ...

http://oeis.org/

Already looked it up broken into 1, 2, and 3 sets a bit ago... although each one is 50 binary digits long, which makes it look like it might not be binary, and definitely has to be paired in 1,5,10,25... so...

Broken up into length 5 segments, translated from binary doesn't exceed 26. Although the 0 at the end would give you a 27th character... :D

15,4,24,2,25,21,21,8,25,13 10,26,4,25,26,13,8,17,11,0

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I think Matt Benesi may be on to something with the speak of binary.

It may have been helpful earlier to state that this sequence could probably be looked at very similar to digital where 0=off and 1=on. If you look at it that way, I guess I'd say I'm trying to figure out where the 1's would appear if continuing that sequence. I'll see if I can manage to figure it out with the observation that each 5 length segment does not exceed 26.

1. What is number series recognition software?

Number series recognition software is a type of computer program that is designed to identify and analyze numerical patterns or sequences in data. This software is commonly used in data analysis, financial forecasting, and other scientific research.

2. How does number series recognition software work?

Number series recognition software uses complex algorithms and mathematical models to identify patterns and relationships between numbers in a given dataset. The software can analyze large sets of data quickly and accurately, making it a valuable tool for scientists and researchers.

3. What are the benefits of using number series recognition software?

There are several benefits to using number series recognition software. Some of these include saving time and effort in manual data analysis, detecting complex patterns that may not be easily identifiable by humans, and providing more accurate and reliable results.

4. Can number series recognition software be used for any type of data?

Number series recognition software can be used for various types of data, including numeric, financial, and scientific data. However, the effectiveness of the software may depend on the quality and format of the data being analyzed.

5. Is number series recognition software difficult to use?

The level of difficulty in using number series recognition software may vary depending on the specific program and its features. Some software may require a basic understanding of mathematical concepts, while others may have more user-friendly interfaces. Overall, with some training and practice, most scientists should be able to use this software effectively.