Number Theory for Electronic Signal Frequency Synthesis

In summary: Well... suppose we tweak your problem statement a bit.Let's make it: given $F \bmod P_1 = 0$, find $P_2$ such that $F \bmod P_2 = C$, where $C = \left\lfloor\frac{P_1}{2}\right\rfloor$.Then we have $F = C + kP_2$ for some integer $k$.That means $kP_2 = F - C$.So if we factor $F-C$ in any way, we find $k$ and $P_2$.Unfortunately we don't have any real conditions on $P_2$.Rather
Garan
I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer designing frequency synthesizers for electronic test and measurement equipment.

I have a design problem and I think that number theory could help me solve it. I'm not a mathematician, so I will state the problem the best I can.

Definitions:
F. Any number between 4000 and 8000
P1 = 50, or other predetermined constant.
P2. Unknown
When F mod P1 = 0, is there a value P2 such that F mod P2 >= C?C is a fixed number, for example 10.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Garan said:
I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer designing frequency synthesizers for electronic test and measurement equipment.

I have a design problem and I think that number theory could help me solve it. I'm not a mathematician, so I will state the problem the best I can.

Definitions:
F. Any number between 4000 and 8000
P1 = 50, or other predetermined constant.
P2. Unknown
When F mod P1 = 0, is there a value P2 such that F mod P2 >= C?C is a fixed number, for example 10.

Thank you.

Hi Garan! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Just to clarify, suppose we pick P2=8001. Doesn't that already satisfy your requirement?

I like Serena said:
Hi Garan! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Just to clarify, suppose we pick P2=8001. Doesn't that already satisfy your requirement?

P2 is restricted to something similar to P1.

P1 and P2 represent reference frequencies generated by two different crystal oscillators. For various design reasons, it would be best if P2 is "similar" to P1. P2 preferably should be an integer, but can be a rational number.

For example if P1 is 50 and P2 were 55, then this is realizable in the hardware.
But for certain values of F between 4000 and 8000, F mod P1 = 0 and F mod P2 will also get close to 0. I would like to be able to find a value of P2 that will keep F mod P2 > some constant C, (10 for example) whenever F mod P1 = 0.

Garan said:
P2 is restricted to something similar to P1.

P1 and P2 represent reference frequencies generated by two different crystal oscillators. For various design reasons, it would be best if P2 is "similar" to P1. P2 preferably should be an integer, but can be a rational number.

For example if P1 is 50 and P2 were 55, then this is realizable in the hardware.
But for certain values of F between 4000 and 8000, F mod P1 = 0 and F mod P2 will also get close to 0. I would like to be able to find a value of P2 that will keep F mod P2 > some constant C, (10 for example) whenever F mod P1 = 0.

Well... suppose we pick F, P1, and C, then we can pick a rational P2:
$$P_2 = P_1\left(1+\frac C F\right)$$
so we'll have:
$$F \bmod P_2 = C$$

Alternatively, we can iterate $P_2$ one frequency at a time until we find one that gives a sufficient modulo.

I like Serena said:
Well... suppose we pick F, P1, and C, then we can pick a rational P2:
$$P_2 = P_1\left(1+\frac C F\right)$$
so we'll have:
$$F \bmod P_2 = C$$

Alternatively, we can iterate $P_2$ one frequency at a time until we find one that gives a sufficient modulo.

Thank you. I will use Matlab to do the brute-force search based on your suggestions.

I was hoping for that there was an elegant closed-form solution from number theory :)

Garan said:
Thank you. I will use Matlab to do the brute-force search based on your suggestions.

I was hoping for that there was an elegant closed-form solution from number theory :)

Well... suppose we tweak your problem statement a bit.
Let's make it: given $F \bmod P_1 = 0$, find $P_2$ such that $F \bmod P_2 = C$, where $C = \left\lfloor\frac{P_1}{2}\right\rfloor$.
Then we have $F = C + kP_2$ for some integer $k$.
That means $kP_2 = F - C$.
So if we factor $F-C$ in any way, we find $k$ and $P_2$.

Unfortunately we don't have any real conditions on $P_2$.
Rather, it seems that we're searching for a practical way to find some $P_2$ that does what we want within certain practical boundaries.
That's not really a number theory problem, that's more like asking for a practical down-to-earth engineering solution.

1. What is number theory and how is it related to electronic signal frequency synthesis?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers and their relationships with one another. It is used in electronic signal frequency synthesis to determine the best frequencies to use for different types of signals.

2. How does number theory help in designing electronic devices that use frequency synthesis?

By understanding the mathematical properties of numbers and their relationships, number theory can be used to optimize the design of electronic devices that use frequency synthesis. This includes choosing the most efficient frequencies to use and minimizing interference between different signals.

3. Can number theory be used to improve the accuracy and stability of electronic signal frequency synthesis?

Yes, number theory can be used to improve the accuracy and stability of electronic signal frequency synthesis. By using number theory algorithms, engineers can design devices that can generate highly precise and stable frequencies, which is crucial for many electronic applications.

4. Are there any real-world applications of number theory in electronic signal frequency synthesis?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of number theory in electronic signal frequency synthesis. Some examples include wireless communication systems, radar systems, and GPS devices, all of which rely on precise and stable frequency synthesis to function properly.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in using number theory for electronic signal frequency synthesis?

One potential challenge in using number theory for electronic signal frequency synthesis is the complexity of the algorithms and calculations involved. This may require specialized knowledge and skills to implement effectively. Additionally, number theory may not always be applicable to every type of electronic device, as other factors may need to be considered in the design process.