Number Theory Problem: Finding an Integer n for 1+2+3+...+n to End in 13

In summary, the integer n that solves the equation 1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2, ends with the last two digits 13, is not found. However, if the last digit of n is 3, then the sum of the integers 1+2+3+...+n will always be 13 (mod 25). To prove this, one has to find values of n that produce this result, and then use appropriate sums.
d4rkwarrior

Homework Statement

Does there exist an integer n, such that 1+2+3+...+n, ends with the last two digits 13?

Homework Equations

1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached a conclusion that 1+2+3+...+n [itex]\equiv 13 (mod 100)[/itex]. Also the sum has to be greater than 100, but from here I am stuck. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
d4rkwarrior said:

Homework Statement

Does there exist an integer n, such that 1+2+3+...+n, ends with the last two digits 13?

Homework Equations

1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached a conclusion that 1+2+3+...+n [itex]\equiv 13 (mod 100)[/itex]. Also the sum has to be greater than 100, but from here I am stuck. What do I do?

A quick check with Excel sure seems to imply that there is no such n, but maybe in the higher numbers... What math techniques are you supposed to be using for this proof/disproof?

You could begin with the last digit, this is easier to study. Afterwards, including the first digit should work in a similar way.

I am supposed to prove it by congruences, and by the way showing that it is impossible with last digit can't prove it's impossible with two, not even in a similar way. And I have to prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE or possible for certain values of n.

Since [itex]100=2^25^2[/itex], you could check what happens in mod 4.

Which values will the sequence 1+...+n take in (mod 4)?? You can always write

[tex]1+2+3+4+5+...+n = 1+2+3+4+(4+1)+(4+2)+...[/tex]

So can you give a full classification of the sequence in (mod 4)?

What about mod 25?

Last edited by a moderator:
d4rkwarrior said:
I am supposed to prove it by congruences, and by the way showing that it is impossible with last digit can't prove it's impossible with two, not even in a similar way. And I have to prove that it is IMPOSSIBLE or possible for certain values of n.
The last digit can be 3. But those occurences are quite limited, and you can verify that the last digits will never be 13 at those.
If the last digit would never be 3, this would be sufficient for the proof.

micromass said:
Since [itex]100=2^25^2[/itex], you could check what happens in mod 4.

Which values will the sequence 1+...+n take in (mod 4)?? You can always write

[tex]1+2+3+4+5+...+n = 1+2+3+4+(4+1)+(4+2)+...[/tex]

So can you give a full classification of the sequence in (mod 4)?

What about mod 25?

That is really cool. I learned something new today! :smile:

micromass; how can I continue from here? By using mod 4, the sum, S, will be:

S [itex]\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3 (mod 4)[/itex]. Also, 13 [itex]\equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex] How do I exclude the possibility of S [itex]\equiv 1 (mod 4)[/itex]?

You cannot exclude it in this step - the sum will be 1 mod 4 sometimes. The question is: Can it be 13 mod 25 at the same time?

But how do I prove that? What method can I use?

Find them by testing, and prove them by considering appropriate sums?

You want to know whether/when n(n+1)/2 ≡ 13 (mod 25). Suppose it is. Simplify that, and get the LHS into a perfect square.

Related to Number Theory Problem: Finding an Integer n for 1+2+3+...+n to End in 13

What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers and their patterns.

What is the significance of finding an integer n for 1+2+3+...+n to end in 13?

This problem is significant because it involves the study of perfect numbers, which are numbers that are equal to the sum of their proper divisors. It also allows for the exploration of patterns and relationships within the set of positive integers.

How would you approach solving this problem?

The first step would be to understand and analyze the given sequence of numbers. Then, I would try to find a pattern or relationship between the numbers that could lead to an integer n that ends in 13. I would also use mathematical tools and techniques such as modular arithmetic and algebraic equations to help solve the problem.

Are there any known solutions to this problem?

Yes, there are known solutions to this problem. For example, n = 72 is a solution, as 1+2+3+...+72 = 2485, which ends in 13. However, there are infinitely many solutions to this problem, as the sequence 1+2+3+...+n continues indefinitely.

What real-world applications does this problem have?

This problem may have applications in cryptography, as it involves the study of patterns and relationships in numbers. It could also be used in coding and algorithm development, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as number theory and combinatorics.