Numerical Analysis book question

In summary, the speaker is recommending the book "Numerical Mathematics" by Quarteroni for a future numerical analysis class because it is focused on mathematics rather than a specific computer language. However, they also acknowledge that it may be difficult to understand and suggest looking into other recommended books that may be easier to comprehend. They also mention their own experience with using a different book for computational physics and provide recommendations for books in that field. Ultimately, they suggest following the lecturer's recommendations and focusing on algorithms rather than coding.
Jecs
So in my future numerical analysis class the recommended book i liked the most was Numerical mathematics by Quarteroni :

https://books.google.pt/books/about...p_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Since i like this branch of mathematics i tried to go to a library and read it and although i liked it i found it a bit hard to read maybe because of it's formalism or my lack of knowledge that i should have to read it.
Is this one of those cases were you should read a book to prepare yourself for a harder one or should i focus on something else first ?

Thanks in advance

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
If you find that book too hard, why do you say that you liked it the most? Many reviewers on Amazon seem to agree with your comment that it is hard to understand. There is something to be said for a book that you can understand. What are the other recommended books? If one of them is easier to understand, I suggest that you look at it.

I liked it the most because it's not a recipe book or MATLAB centered (although is has some code examples) like the other's that are recommended. It seems to be more focused in the mathematics rather than a computer language or software implementation (although it has some examples).

To answer your question the other recommended books are:

Numerical methods using MATLAB by Mathews.
Applied numerical methods using MATLAB by Fausset.

Thanks for your reply.

In my university, we study 2 courses about Computational Physics (or Numerical Analysis in Mathematics Faculty), CP1 and CP2, and we use MATLAB.
I don't know what your major in university is, Mathematics of Physics, but if your major is Physics, see below :-p

CP1 we study about Number, Errors, Solving linear eq/system of eqs, Interpolation, Numerical Integration and Numerical Differentiation. We are recommended to use 3 books: A First Course in Computational Physics (Paul DeVries), Computational Physics (Páez, Landau <-- Not Landau we all know :biggrin:) and Numerical Analysis Using Spreadsheet (Karris). For me, I don't recommend you with the first one - Paul DeVries - because it's quite hard and it uses Fortran.

CP2 we study about Monte Carlo method, Molecular Dynamics, Partial Differential Eqs and Fourier Transformation. We are recommended to use: PDE (Farlow), PDE:An Introduction (W. Strauss) for PDE part. For MC, MD and Fourier Transformation, we just study in the class.

Last words, you can read whatever you want, but
1st, follow the lecturer's recommend
2nd, focus much on algorithm, less on coding

Good luck :wink:

Likes Jecs

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development, analysis, and implementation of algorithms for solving mathematical problems using numerical methods.

2. What is the importance of numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis plays a crucial role in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and many others. It helps to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved analytically, and also provides accurate solutions for practical applications.

3. What are some common numerical analysis methods?

Some common numerical analysis methods include numerical integration, numerical differentiation, root-finding methods, and solving differential equations using numerical techniques such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta method.

4. How is numerical analysis different from theoretical mathematics?

Numerical analysis focuses on finding numerical approximations to mathematical problems, while theoretical mathematics deals with proving theorems and deriving analytical solutions. Numerical analysis is more practical and often involves using computers to solve problems, whereas theoretical mathematics is more abstract and theoretical.

5. What are the limitations of numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis can be affected by rounding errors and truncation errors, leading to inaccurate solutions. It also relies on the quality of the initial data and the chosen numerical method, and some problems may not have a solution that can be accurately approximated using numerical techniques.