Ω=0 and its magnitude for a unit pulse

In summary, the conversation was about finding the magnitude of a DC signal in a shifted unit pulse signal using two different methods. Method #1 used the FT formula and produced a magnitude of 6.2832, while Method #2 used Laplace transform and produced a magnitude of 6.5938. The error between the two methods was 0.3106. The mistake in Method #2 was identified and corrected, leading to the correct answer. The conversation ended with a question about simplifying the expression in Method #2 further, without using exponentials.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was trying to find the magnitude of DC signal in a shifted unit pulse signal. The unshifted pulse lasts from -π to π and then it is shifted by π duration.

In Method #1 I have used FT formula and ended up with magnitude of 6.2832 for DC signal, i.e. ω=0.

In Method #2 I have used Laplace transform to derive the FT by setting σ=0 and ended up with magnitude of 6.5938 for the DC signal, i.e. ω=0.

What is contributing toward the error of 6.5938-6.2832=0.3106?

Could you please help me with it? Thank you!

Method #1:
1588132344990.png

Finding magnitude of DC signal:
1588132415122.png
Method #2:
1588132532011.png

Finding magnitude of DC signal:
1588132584329.png

Attachments

• 1588132494144.png
    1588132494144.png
    48 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I was able to trace the problem. Method #1 produces the right answer.

There is a mistake Method #2. I have the step where the mistake occurred but even after fixing it, I couldn't simplify it any further. Could you please help me with it?

Please note that I didn't write lim_ω→0 with every step. Thank you

1588148305622.png

Yes, you got the right answer in method #1. For method #2 you have,$$
\frac{1}{s}-\frac{e^{2\pi s}}{s}\rightarrow \frac{1}{j\omega}-\frac{e^{2\pi j \omega}}{j\omega} =e^{j\pi \omega}(\frac{e^{-j\pi \omega}-e^{j\pi \omega}}{j\omega})=-e^{j\pi \omega}\frac{2\sin(\pi \omega)}{\omega}$$Taking the absolute value, you recover the answer from method #1

Likes berkeman
Fred Wright said:
Yes, you got the right answer in method #1. For method #2 you have,$$
\frac{1}{s}-\frac{e^{2\pi s}}{s}\rightarrow \frac{1}{j\omega}-\frac{e^{2\pi j \omega}}{j\omega} =e^{j\pi \omega}(\frac{e^{-j\pi \omega}-e^{j\pi \omega}}{j\omega})=-e^{j\pi \omega}\frac{2\sin(\pi \omega)}{\omega}$$Taking the absolute value, you recover the answer from method #1

Thank you!

But I was purposely trying to avoid exponentials. Is there any way to simplify the trigonometric expression in Method #2 further?

Hi,

I was able to fix Method #2 and got the correct answer.

1588381138990.png

1. What is Ω=0 and its magnitude for a unit pulse?

Ω=0 is a mathematical concept used in signal processing and systems theory. It represents the frequency of a signal or system when it has a magnitude of zero. The magnitude of Ω=0 for a unit pulse is also zero, meaning that the signal or system does not have any energy at that frequency.

2. How is Ω=0 related to the frequency response of a system?

Ω=0 is an important frequency in the frequency response of a system. It represents the DC (direct current) component of the system, which is the steady-state behavior of the system when there is no input signal. In other words, Ω=0 is the frequency at which the system's output remains constant regardless of the input signal.

3. Can Ω=0 ever have a non-zero magnitude for a unit pulse?

No, Ω=0 always has a magnitude of zero for a unit pulse. This is because a unit pulse has a finite energy and is only non-zero at a single point in time. Therefore, it cannot have any energy at the frequency of Ω=0, which represents a continuous signal with zero energy.

4. How does Ω=0 affect the stability of a system?

The value of Ω=0 does not directly affect the stability of a system. However, it is often used in stability analysis to determine the stability of a system at low frequencies. A system is considered stable if its frequency response remains bounded at Ω=0.

5. What applications does Ω=0 have in real-world systems?

Ω=0 has various applications in real-world systems, particularly in signal processing and control systems. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems in the frequency domain and design filters or controllers to achieve specific frequency responses. For example, Ω=0 is often used in the design of low-pass filters to remove high-frequency noise from a signal.