Odd Quoting Behaviour: One Tag, Two Blocks

In summary,The software fixes badly nested tags - which results in two quote blocks. Pasting the QUOTE tag on the previous line (so it was in normal text) then deleting until the "or" was on the same line fixed the behaviour.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
While quoting a post earlier I came across the following interesting behaviour. I pasted a QUOTE tag into a place where the person I was quoting had used large bold text, and accidentally made the QUOTE tag large bold text. This seems to have cause the behaviour below - there is only one QUOTE tag, but it generates two quote blocks. Pasting the QUOTE tag on the previous line (so it was in normal text) then deleting until the "or" was on the same line fixed the behaviour.

Stephanus said:
or
Stephanus said:
-------------------------------------------------
For instance, I stay put for 8 years (0,0,0,0) to (8,0,0,0,0)

Physics news on Phys.org
I just went to edit the above and see that there are two QUOTE tags in the editor view - which explains the two blocks. But I only put one into my original post - something in PF added a /QUOTE and a QUOTE.

Responding to my own thread again, sorry. I guess what's happening is the software fixing badly nested tags - I produced something like

B QUOTE /B /QUOTE

and the forum software has fixed it by adding a /QUOTE and a QUOTE around the /B. That fixes the nesting, but breaks the formatting...

The forum tries to organize tags in a proper hierarchy. Leaving unpaired tags (and <A><B></A></B> is not properly paired) can result in a fix with that attempt, but sometimes it leads to unexpected results.

I've always wondered why, in some posts, quoted text appears bigger than normally would. This thread sheds light on why that is the case.

mfb said:
The forum tries to organize tags in a proper hierarchy. Leaving unpaired tags (and <A><B></A></B> is not properly paired) can result in a fix with that attempt, but sometimes it leads to unexpected results.
I guess I was just wondering if there's a better way to fix it - in my example (B QUOTE /B /QUOTE) the forum apparently decided to make it B QUOTE /QUOTE /B QUOTE /QUOTE - but B /B QUOTE B /B /QUOTE would also have fixed it and would have been invisible. Maybe there's some way to say "don't add a quote tag if at all possible"? Or, perhaps more generally, "add inline text tags in preference to paragraph tags"?

In EDIT the strike through and underline tags simply will not turn off. Really aggravating.

eg qwerttyyyy

i tried my best to turn it off after "yyy" but it strikes through anything i type afterward.

Remove the [s] and [/s] in the following line?

following line? as mentor do you see something i don't ?

here' a snip of what i see (you folks taught me that trick)

oddquote.JPG

Oh, the "rich text editor". I suggest to use the normal one (https://www.physicsforums.com/account/preferences), then you see the codes that are responsible for that.

Likes jim hardy
mfb said:
Oh, the "rich text editor". I suggest to use the normal one (https://www.physicsforums.com/account/preferences), then you see the codes that are responsible for that.

Wow !

Thank Heaven ! Can you guys teach Microsoft that trick ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
That normal editor is sans the handy buttons at top for bold, image, symbols, and doesn't offer quote.
And what i type shows up blue.
Yukk.

I went back to rich text.

Likes Silicon Waffle
mfb said:
Never mind the preferences, you can quickly switch back and forth between the two editors:
  • In the rich text editor, there's an icon at the far right of the toolbar to go to the BB code editor
  • In the BB code editor, there's a blue link under the bottom left of the editor area to go to the rich text editor
I use the rich text editor by default, but if a problem arises I temporarily switch to the BB code editor to see if I can fix the problem from there,

testing editors

one ping

one ping <<< copied and pasted in BBcode editor

successfully switched backlanguages are learned while we are young.

thanks for the new trick, Doc !

Likes Silicon Waffle
DrGreg said:
Never mind the preferences, you can quickly switch back and forth between the two editors:
  • In the rich text editor, there's an icon at the far right of the toolbar to go to the BB code editor
  • In the BB code editor, there's a blue link under the bottom left of the editor area to go to the rich text editor
Thanks for the new trick, Doc. Tried it , worked first time.

1. What is odd quoting behavior?

Odd quoting behavior refers to a phenomenon in which a single quotation mark is used to enclose two separate blocks of text instead of using two quotation marks. This can lead to confusion and make it difficult to determine which text is being quoted.

2. Why does odd quoting behavior occur?

Odd quoting behavior can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as a misunderstanding of punctuation rules, typing errors, or simply a lack of attention to detail. It can also be a result of using different keyboard layouts or software that automatically converts quotation marks.

3. How does odd quoting behavior affect the readability of text?

Odd quoting behavior can make text more difficult to read and understand, as it can be unclear which text is being quoted. This can also lead to misinterpretation of the meaning of the quoted text and create confusion for the reader.

4. How can odd quoting behavior be avoided?

To avoid odd quoting behavior, it is important to follow punctuation rules and use two quotation marks to enclose separate blocks of text. It is also helpful to proofread and edit text carefully to catch any typos or errors. Using software that automatically converts quotation marks can also help prevent this issue.

5. What are the potential consequences of odd quoting behavior in scientific writing?

In scientific writing, odd quoting behavior can result in inaccurate or misleading information, which can have serious consequences. It can also make it difficult for other researchers to verify and replicate findings, leading to a lack of credibility for the study. It is important for scientists to be aware of and avoid odd quoting behavior in their writing to maintain the integrity of their research.