On my way to Ph.D in Physics Need guidance from non-academic physicists

In summary, a person who just completed a B.S. in Physics from a prestigious program discusses how their mindset has changed after working in research as an undergrad. They now prefer experiments over theories and want to make something practical for others to use. They plan on applying to graduate school but are concerned about the curriculum being geared towards academia and not providing the necessary skills for working in industries. They are seeking advice on how to make themselves more marketable for private companies and corporations, as their ultimate goal is to start their own firm. A suggestion is made to look for opportunities in graduate programs that involve partnerships with industry.
alphadan
Hi all,

I just finished my 4 years college with a B.S. in Physics from a reputed physics program.
I came to college with a naive mindset about myself. I thought I want to become a theorist and get a tenure from somewhere. I have changed quite a bit after working in research as an undergrad.

Nowadays I prefer experiments over theories. I prefer physical objects with applications. I want to make something that other people can use. I don't feel like staying in academia after my Ph. D. I want to work in industries.

I have decent grades, decent scores and letter of recommendations. Right now I am applying to graduate school. I know I will go somewhere but I begin to see Ph.D. as a big commitment.

I want to do experiments in condensed matter and hopefully pick up some practical electrical engineering skills along the way.

May I ask you, hows life like after your PhD for those who decided not to stay in Academia?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that to some people, working in a national lab, for example, is also an "academic" environment, since one often deals with grad students, postdocs, and some form of a "tenure" system (at least here in the US). So even if such an institution doesn't have teaching responsibilities and doesn't grant degrees, it has a bit of an academic atmosphere.

So assuming that you really meant working in industries or private sector, there is an article from Science Careers that you might want to read:

http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2009_05_22/caredit.a0900066

This is a good time to remind everyone, especially the new members, to clearly state where you are at, or where you intend to do all this. Often times, these types of questions and answers are very location-specific! It will be a waste of time an effort for someone to write a long, detailed answer, only to be told that the person asking it is from a part of the world where such an advise is worthless.

It is a good time for you to recognize and realize that PF is a global forum.

Zz.

Thank you ZapperZ for the wonderful article.

I am a Californian resident. I went to my undergraduate institution in CA and it is my preference to attend another school in California for my Ph.D

My current concern is that graduate school curriculum is typically geared toward academic research. I afraid I can't obtain the required skill to work in industries. Some people try to convince me to go into Engineering. However, I am still passionately in love with Physics. I have a profit-driven mindset but nothing beats the thrill of learning new physics.

I want to ask for advices from scientists in industries. What are some approaches I should take during graduate school to make myself more marketable toward private companies and corporations?
In fact, ultimately I really want to start my own firm to work on projects that I am passionate about. However, I feel I can't go anywhere without any experience in industries, especially if I am going to do solid state devices.

I did a PhD in experimental solid state physics and left academia. But I am from Europe - so I am always a bit hesitant to post here.

Here it is not uncommon to work in research projects that include both academic institutions and partners from industry as a PhD student. So not only do you pick up useful skills but you also learn about the culture of interesting industry sectors, and you are given the option to build a network of contacts.

If it is not obvious from universities' websites I would ask about such opportunites and pick a PhD program based on how "close" it is to industry.

for reaching out and sharing your thoughts about your academic journey. It sounds like you have had a significant change in your mindset and interests during your undergraduate research experience. This is a common occurrence and it's great that you were able to discover your true passions before committing to a Ph.D program.

As a non-academic physicist, I can tell you that the field of physics offers a wide range of opportunities and career paths. Many physicists who do not stay in academia go on to work in industries such as technology, engineering, and research and development. Their skills in experimental design, data analysis, and problem-solving are highly sought after in these fields.

Life after a Ph.D can be very fulfilling and rewarding, regardless of whether you stay in academia or not. It's important to keep an open mind and explore different options during your graduate studies. You may even discover new interests and skills that you didn't know you had.

My advice would be to focus on your research and coursework during your Ph.D program, but also take advantage of any opportunities for internships or collaborations with industry partners. This will give you a taste of what it's like to work in a non-academic setting and help you make an informed decision about your future career path.

Best of luck with your graduate studies and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Remember to stay open-minded and continue learning, as the field of physics is constantly evolving and offers endless possibilities.

1. What is the best way to prepare for a Ph.D in Physics?

The best way to prepare for a Ph.D in Physics is to have a strong foundation in undergraduate physics courses, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also important to have a good understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships or working in a lab can be helpful in preparing for a Ph.D program.

2. What can I expect from a Ph.D program in Physics?

A Ph.D program in Physics typically involves coursework, research, and teaching. The coursework will cover advanced topics in physics and related fields, and the research component will involve conducting original research in a specific area of physics. Additionally, many Ph.D programs require students to teach undergraduate courses as part of their training.

3. How can I find a non-academic physicist for guidance?

There are several ways to find a non-academic physicist for guidance. One option is to reach out to professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society, and inquire about mentorship programs or networking opportunities. Another option is to attend conferences or workshops in your field of interest, where you can meet and network with non-academic physicists.

4. What are some career options for Ph.D physicists outside of academia?

Ph.D physicists have a wide range of career options outside of academia. Some common industries that employ Ph.D physicists include technology, finance, healthcare, and energy. Additionally, many Ph.D physicists go on to work in research and development roles in government agencies or national labs.

5. How can I balance my Ph.D program with other commitments?

Balancing a Ph.D program with other commitments, such as family or work, can be challenging. It is important to prioritize your time and set realistic goals for yourself. It can also be helpful to communicate with your advisor and other faculty members about your commitments and work together to find a balance. Seeking support from friends, family, and mentors can also be beneficial in managing the demands of a Ph.D program.