On the new rule on personal communications with third parties

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about adding a rule against posting complete emails, which could result in lost opportunities for useful discussion. This poses a problem for individuals who need help and want to provide context for their question. The suggestion is to trust the community to use good judgment instead of attempting to create specific rules. Posting private messages without permission is seen as unethical, but even with permission, it may still be an issue of verifiability.
PAllen
Science Advisor
While I see the basis for adding a rule against this (especially posting complete e-mails), it results in some lost opportunities for useful discussion. Suppose someone has a conversation with their professor and comes away confused. They would like to get help here. Normally, when someone asks : "I read/heard xyx and I am confused" we ask for reference so we can see the context. In this case, the rule prohibits them from providing context for their question. Can any administrator suggest how to proceed in such a case?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to write a long answer, but it basically boils down to this. You either trust us to use good judgment, or you don't.

We could try and craft rules to completely specify allowed and prohibited behavior. Such an activity would take away a huge amount of time from actually running PF, and is doomed to fail anyway.

I view posting EM's or private messages that are not in the public domain, and without permission, unethical.

Chronos said:
I view posting EM's or private messages that are not in the public domain, and without permission, unethical.

Agreed, but the rule covers even the situation where you have permission. Then, it isn't a matter of ethics but of verifiability (among other issues).

1. What is the new rule on personal communications with third parties?

The new rule on personal communications with third parties refers to a regulation that governs the way individuals and organizations communicate personal information with other parties, such as companies or government agencies. It aims to protect the privacy and security of personal information by setting guidelines for how it can be collected, used, and shared.

2. Why was the new rule on personal communications with third parties implemented?

The new rule was implemented in response to growing concerns about the misuse and mishandling of personal information by third parties. With the rise of technology and social media, personal information is more vulnerable to being accessed and shared without consent. This rule aims to address these concerns and protect individuals' privacy rights.

3. Who is affected by the new rule on personal communications with third parties?

The new rule affects anyone who communicates personal information with third parties, including individuals, organizations, and businesses. It also applies to any third party that receives and processes personal information from others.

4. What are the key requirements of the new rule on personal communications with third parties?

The key requirements of the new rule include obtaining consent before collecting and using personal information, providing individuals with the option to opt-out of communication, securely storing and protecting personal information, and properly disposing of it when it is no longer needed. It also requires organizations to have a clear and transparent privacy policy in place.

5. How can individuals ensure compliance with the new rule on personal communications with third parties?

To ensure compliance with the new rule, individuals should carefully review and understand privacy policies before sharing their personal information with third parties. They should also regularly monitor their personal information and report any unauthorized use or disclosure. Additionally, individuals can seek legal counsel for any concerns or violations of the new rule.