One dimensional Elastic collision of two identical particle

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the solution to a symmetric system involving the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in an elastic collision. It is concluded that the solution where the velocities are not swapped should be accepted as a valid solution, representing a situation where one particle remains at rest while the other continues to move at the same speed. This solution is not commonly mentioned in textbooks, but serves as a good example of interpreting mathematical solutions in a physical context.
L0r3n20
Hi everyone. I've a question that i wondered since the high school. Let's take two identical particles (same mass) that collide frontally. Assume it's an elastic collision. We have to conservate both the momentum and kinetic energy:

v_1 + v_2 = v'_1 + v'_1
v^2_1 + v^2_2 = v'^2_1 + v'^2_1

(where primes denotes the velocities after the collision). Now I do know the solution: the velocities are swapped among the two particles and here comes my question: since the one I wrote is a symmetric system, why should I not accept the solution where the two velocity are not swapped?

Physics news on Phys.org
L0r3n20 said:
Hi everyone. I've a question that i wondered since the high school. Let's take two identical particles (same mass) that collide frontally. Assume it's an elastic collision. We have to conservate both the momentum and kinetic energy:

v_1 + v_2 = v'_1 + v'_1
v^2_1 + v^2_2 = v'^2_1 + v'^2_1

(where primes denotes the velocities after the collision). Now I do know the solution: the velocities are swapped among the two particles and here comes my question: since the one I wrote is a symmetric system, why should I not accept the solution where the two velocity are not swapped?

You should accept that as a valid solution. What physical situation does it represent?

Every book I checked does not take into account such a solution. In fact, in order to obtain the desired solution they dived by (v_1 - v'_1) (and same for the v_2). As a physical solution I imagined a moving particle colliding with a static one. In such a situation, the solution where each particle keeps its velocity is represented by the first particle hitting the second one that remains still while the first one goes on. Am I right? Is this possibile?

L0r3n20 said:
Every book I checked does not take into account such a solution. In fact, in order to obtain the desired solution they dived by (v_1 - v'_1) (and same for the v_2). As a physical solution I imagined a moving particle colliding with a static one. In such a situation, the solution where each particle keeps its velocity is represented by the first particle hitting the second one that remains still while the first one goes on. Am I right? Is this possibile?

It's simpler than that. Imagine particle B is at rest and particle A is moving towards it at speed ##v##. Particle B closes its eyes and afterwards is still at rest, while particle is moving away at speed ##v##. What has happened? It's very simple!

If you haven't got it yet, here's another clue:

4ea4e79503e29-image.jpg

Ok thanks Perok that's very illuminating! :D
In other words IF there is a collision THEN we can assume momentum is transferred, ELSE we have a miss, right?

L0r3n20 said:
Ok thanks Perok that's very illuminating! :D
In other words IF there is a collision THEN we can assume momentum is transferred, ELSE we have a miss, right?

Yes. I'm suprised none of the books mention this, as it's a good example of having to interpret what is, after all, a perfectly valid mathematical solution. The equations are equally satisfied with no change to either particle.

I suppose that, being a 1D problem, you cannot admit a miss...

Both of you got a point. Now you convinced me. Many many thanks.

Related to One dimensional Elastic collision of two identical particle

1. What is a one-dimensional elastic collision?

A one-dimensional elastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide along a single line, and there is no loss of kinetic energy or deformation of the objects.

2. How is the motion of particles in a one-dimensional elastic collision described?

The motion of particles in a one-dimensional elastic collision is described using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the particles before and after the collision must remain the same.

3. How are the velocities of particles calculated after a one-dimensional elastic collision?

The velocities of particles after a one-dimensional elastic collision can be calculated using the equations:
- v1f = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2) * v1i + (2 * m2) / (m1 + m2) * v2i
- v2f = (2 * m1) / (m1 + m2) * v1i + (m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2) * v2i
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the particles, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the particles.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

The main difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision is that in an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects do not deform, while in an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy and the objects may deform.

5. What are some real-life examples of one-dimensional elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of one-dimensional elastic collisions include:
- Billiards: When two billiard balls collide, they behave as nearly perfect elastic spheres, with no loss of kinetic energy.
- Bouncing balls: When a ball is dropped onto a hard surface, it bounces back up due to the elastic collision between the ball and the surface.
- Newton's cradle: This is a device that demonstrates conservation of momentum and energy through a series of one-dimensional elastic collisions between suspended metal balls.