One Variable Statistics Homework Question

In summary, a set of eight numbers has a median of 19 and the sum of the fourth and fifth data points is 38. However, there is not enough information to determine the sum of the fourth and sixth data points.
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

A set of eight numbers has a median of 19.

a) What is the sum of the fourth and fifth data points
b) What is the sum of the fourth and sixth data points

(no answers available)

Homework Equations

(N+1)/2 -- Position of the median
(N+1)/4 -- Position of Q1
3(N+1)/4 -- Position of Q3
Q3-Q1= IQR
IQR/2 = SIQR
Standard Deviation / Variance (maybe??)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
(8+1)/2 = 4.5 Therefore median is the average of the 4th and 5th data points
Let x = data point 4
Let y = data point 5

(x+y)/2 = 19
Therefore x + y = 38

b)
I considered the IQR and found the position of Q1 and Q3 but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ethan:

(a) is well done.
(b) I think is a trick question. I might possibly be surprised and mistaken, but I am pretty sure there is not sufficient information to give an answer to (b).

Regards,
Buzz

I agree with Buzz. You don't have enough information to determine (b).

What is the purpose of one variable statistics?

One variable statistics is used to summarize and analyze data that only has one variable or characteristic. It helps to understand the distribution, central tendency, and variability of the data.

How do I calculate the measures of central tendency in one variable statistics?

To calculate the measures of central tendency, you can use the mean, median, or mode. The mean is the average of all the values, the median is the middle value when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order, and the mode is the most frequently occurring value.

What is the difference between standard deviation and variance?

Standard deviation and variance are both measures of spread or variability in data. However, standard deviation is the square root of variance, which makes it easier to interpret because it is in the same units as the original data. Variance is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

How do I interpret a scatter plot in one variable statistics?

A scatter plot is a graphical representation of the relationship between two variables. In one variable statistics, a scatter plot can be used to see the relationship between the variable and itself. If the points on the plot form a straight line, it indicates a strong positive or negative correlation, while a scattered pattern suggests no correlation.

What is the purpose of hypothesis testing in one variable statistics?

Hypothesis testing is used to determine if there is a significant difference between two groups or if a relationship exists between two variables. In one variable statistics, it can be used to test whether the population mean is equal to a specific value or to compare the means of two groups. It helps to make informed decisions and draw conclusions from the data.