Open interval (set) end points and differentiability.

In summary: X?1. I learned in high school that open intervals exclude end points. But in an open set X, it would include end points and its neighborhood. Are they different in terms of definition?2. If we consider the boundary points of X, intuitively half of (x-eps,x+eps) would include the interval outside the set X. Do we define (x-eps, x+eps) to be in X...even though it includes the end points of X?No, that doesn't make sense.
kidsasd987
When we talk about differentiability on a
Set X, the set has to be open.

And if a set X is open there exists epsilon> 0 where epsilon is in R.

Then if x is in X, y=x+ or - epsilon and y is also in X

But this contradicts to what i was taught in high school; end points are excluded in the open interval.

Could anyone clarify this for me?

Also, since epsilon is arbitrary number, if set it to be infinite then would X be R?
(Entire Real number set)

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
And if a set X is open there exists epsilon> 0 where epsilon is in R.

Then if x is in X, y=x+ or - epsilon and y is also in X

That isn't a grammatically correct statement and it isn't the correct definition for "set X is open".

Also, since epsilon is arbitrary number, if set it to be infinite then would X be R?
(Entire Real number set)

A variable representing a single number can't be "set to be infinite" and it can't be set equal to a set of numbers.

Let ##X \subset \mathbb{R}##. We say ##X## is an open set if and only if for all ##x \in X## there exists ##\epsilon > 0## such that ##(x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon) \subset X##.

The order of the ##\epsilon## and ##x## is important: ##\epsilon## depends on ##x##. This means it is not arbitrary.

Likes Delta2
kidsasd987 said:
When we talk about differentiability on a
Set X, the set has to be open...
Why? What about ##f: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with ##f(x) = x## or ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}##? Why shouldn't we talk about differentiability here?

pwsnafu said:
Let ##X \subset \mathbb{R}##. We say ##X## is an open set if and only if for all ##x \in X## there exists ##\epsilon > 0## such that ##(x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon) \subset X##.

The order of the ##\epsilon## and ##x## is important: ##\epsilon## depends on ##x##. This means it is not arbitrary.

It's also clearer to say "for each ##x \in X##" because we aren't insisting that there is a single ##\epsilon## that works for all ##x##.

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
Why? What about ##f: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with ##f(x) = x## or ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}##? Why shouldn't we talk about differentiability here?

It is not usually done in analysis books (at least not introductory ones). The question is how we should define differentiability at the boundary. You probably have quite a good idea how to do that, but it does complicate matters somewhat. Furthermore, differentiability at the boundary is almost never needed for elementary analysis results.

Also, when we generalize analysis to ##\mathbb{R}^n## it becomes even more difficult to describe differentiability at the boundary. It's not impossible to do it, but it takes some effort which is usually spent in other places.

In fact, I know of two good generalizations of differentiability at the boundary, and I'm not sure whether they even are equivalent. I should think a bit about this.

I basically wanted to animate the OP to think about why an open neighborhood is "needed", and to sharpen his argumentation, because "the set has to be open" isn't correct in this generality. A reflex, if you like. I thought it would help to understand differentials as linear approximations and what approximation really means in this context.
(I wonder if any derivation on any ring could be considered a differentiation ... with no metric in sight ...)

fresh_42 said:
I basically wanted to animate the OP to think about why an open neighborhood is "needed", and to sharpen his argumentation, because "the set has to be open" isn't correct in this generality. A reflex, if you like. I thought it would help to understand differentials as linear approximations and what approximation really means in this context.
(I wonder if any derivation on any ring could be considered a differentiation ... with no metric in sight ...)

You mean in the sense of differential algebra? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_algebra

micromass said:
You mean in the sense of differential algebra? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_algebra
Thanks. And I am sorry for the confusing statements and wording.

I sort of understand why we need an "open set" when we define differentiability on a set X. As far as I know, we'd need to define right or left differentiabilty if the set
is closed.

pwsnafu said:
Let X⊂RX⊂RX \subset \mathbb{R}. We say XXX is an open set if and only if for all x∈Xx∈Xx \in X there exists ϵ>0ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 such that (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⊂X(x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⊂X(x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon) \subset X.

But here I have two questions

1. I learned in high school that open intervals exclude end points. But in an open set X, it would include end points and its neighborhood.
Are they different in terms of definition?

2. If we consider the boundary points of X, intuitively half of (x-eps,x+eps) would include the interval outside the set X. Do we define (x-eps, x+eps) to be in X because epsilon is small?

kidsasd987 said:
1. I learned in high school that open intervals exclude end points.
That's correct.
But in an open set X, it would include end points and its neighborhood.
No. ##(a,b) = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a < x < b \}## is an open set, ##(a,b] = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a < x \leq b \}## is neither open nor closed, and ##[a,b] = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a \leq x \leq b \}## is a closed interval.
2. If we consider the boundary points of X, intuitively half of (x-eps,x+eps) would include the interval outside the set X. Do we define (x-eps, x+eps) to be in X because epsilon is small?
What do you mean by "half of ... outside"?

We consider an open interval ##(a,b)## in ##X = \mathbb{R}##, a point ##x \in (a,b) \subset X## and a neighborhood ##(x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon) \subset (a,b)## which is entirely within our open set / interval. We then speak of differentiability at (or in) ##x##. The fact that ##(a,b)## is open and ##x \in (a,b)## that is ##a < x < b## guarantees us, that we can always find some neighborhood left and right of ##x## that is still in ##(a,b)## so we must not deal with any boundaries, where e.g. there is no limit from the left if it is the left end point. And we can get as close to ##x## as we like - from both sides.

fresh_42 said:
That's correct.

No. ##(a,b) = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a < x < b \}## is an open set, ##(a,b] = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a < x \leq b \}## is neither open nor closed, and ##[a,b] = \{x \in \mathbb{R} \, | \, a \leq x \leq b \}## is a closed interval.

What do you mean by "half of ... outside"?

We consider an open interval ##(a,b)## in ##X = \mathbb{R}##, a point ##x \in (a,b) \subset X## and a neighborhood ##(x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon) \subset (a,b)## which is entirely within our open set / interval. We then speak of differentiability at (or in) ##x##. The fact that ##(a,b)## is open and ##x \in (a,b)## that is ##a < x < b## guarantees us, that we can always find some neighborhood left and right of ##x## that is still in ##(a,b)## so we must not deal with any boundaries, where e.g. there is no limit from the left if it is the left end point. And we can get as close to ##x## as we like - from both sides.

Oh shoot. I see. Somehow I thought the open set would include the end points.. Thanks. It is so weird. where I got confused of this..

1. What is an open interval in mathematics?

An open interval in mathematics is a set of all real numbers between two given numbers, excluding the endpoints. This means that the interval includes all numbers greater than the first number and less than the second number.

2. What are the end points of an open interval?

The end points of an open interval are the two numbers that define the boundaries of the interval. These numbers are excluded from the set, but they indicate where the interval begins and ends.

3. Can an open interval have equal end points?

No, an open interval cannot have equal end points. This would result in a closed interval, which includes the endpoints in the set. Therefore, an open interval always has different end points.

4. How does the differentiability of a function relate to an open interval?

The differentiability of a function is the ability to calculate the derivative at every point on the function. In an open interval, the function is differentiable at every point within the interval, since the endpoints are excluded. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at every point within the interval.

5. What happens to differentiability at the end points of an open interval?

At the end points of an open interval, the function is not differentiable. This is because the endpoints are not included in the interval, so the function is not defined at those points. However, the function can still be continuous at the endpoints, meaning that the limit of the function exists at those points.