Open problems and suggestions of great mathematical journals

In summary, if you have a valid proof of a top open problem in mathematics, it doesn't really matter what journal you publish it in. It will be looked at.
V9999
TL;DR Summary
Here, I seek for suggestions of mathematics journals to publish discoveries about top open problems in mathematics.
Hi!

Suppose that someone had solved an old but open problem in the great area of mathematics and physics, for instance, dynamical systtems, algebraic geometry and differential equations. Based on your broad experience, what are the best scientific journals to submit such a discovery?

In addition to the previous question, does the impact factor of periodic journals matter nowadays, or is it something neglectable?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
V9999 said:
Suppose that someone had solved an old but open problem in the great area of mathematics and physics, for instance, dynamical systtems, algebraic geometry and differential equations. Based on your broad experience, what are the best scientific journals to submit such a discovery?
I'd say let's wait for someone to actually do it, then he can worry about where to publish his work.

martinbn said:
I'd say let's wait for someone to actually do it, then he can worry about where to publish his work.
martinbn, Thanks for commeting! However, my question is exactly about this. Suppose that someone had undoubtedly solved an open problem in the field of algebraic geometry and mathematics. Based on your broad experience, what are the top mathematical journals to be considered first? Take, for instance, Fermat's last theorem. If I am not mistaken, A. Wiles has selected the well-known Inventiones Mathematicae.
martinbn said:

Why do you ask? Are you in that situation? Are you writing a novel where that happens? Are you ...

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
I think the point is someone who has solved such a problem already knows what journal to publish it in. If you don't know which journal to pick, you probably didn't solve the problem.

Likes weirdoguy, mcastillo356 and pbuk
V9999 said:
martinbn, Thanks for commeting! However, my question is exactly about this. Suppose that someone had undoubtedly solved an open problem in the field of algebraic geometry and mathematics. Based on your broad experience, what are the top mathematical journals to be considered first?
Office_Shredder said:
I think the point is someone who has solved such a problem already knows what journal to publish it in. If you don't know which journal to pick, you probably didn't solve the problem.
So @V9999 you are asking for a friend, got it. What math journals in the area of your friend's work does he/she read regularly?

Likes V9999 and mcastillo356
V9999 said:
In addition to the previous question, does the impact factor of periodic journals matter nowadays, or is it something neglectable?
If you have a valid proof of a top open problem in mathematics, it doesn't really matter what journal you publish it in. It will be looked at.

But if you really want a list of journals, try some of these: https://www.scijournal.org/articles/top-mathematics-journals

Likes V9999
Drakkith said:
If you have a valid proof of a top open problem in mathematics, it doesn't really matter what journal you publish it in. It will be looked at.

But if you really want a list of journals, try some of these: https://www.scijournal.org/articles/top-mathematics-journals

Hi, Drakkith. I hope you are doing well. This is precisely what I was searching. Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Nothing wrong about uploading a preprint to arxiv for starters.

In my experience, having the mindset of "oooh I've made a great discovery here.." is a slippery one. Write your preprint and choose a journal depending on the area of the problem. Provided you steer clear of the predatory "journals", you'll be fine.

Likes V9999
@V9999, I hope your idea of an open, unsolved problem isn't related to your other thread -- the one about the set of solutions to a polynomial.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an open problem in mathematics?

An open problem in mathematics refers to a question or conjecture that has not yet been solved or proven. These problems are usually significant and have been studied extensively, but a definitive solution has not yet been found.

2. How are open problems identified in mathematical journals?

Open problems are usually identified by mathematicians and researchers who are actively working in a specific field. These problems may arise from previous research, or they may be proposed based on new developments or theories.

3. What is the purpose of publishing open problems in mathematical journals?

The purpose of publishing open problems in mathematical journals is to encourage collaboration and further research on these problems. By sharing these problems with the wider mathematical community, it increases the chances of finding a solution or making progress towards a solution.

4. Can anyone contribute to solving open problems published in mathematical journals?

Yes, anyone with a background in mathematics and the necessary skills and knowledge can contribute to solving open problems published in mathematical journals. Many mathematicians actively seek out open problems to work on, and collaboration and discussion among researchers can also lead to progress on these problems.

5. Are there any suggestions for approaching open problems published in mathematical journals?

There are various suggestions for approaching open problems, such as breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, looking for connections to other areas of mathematics, and considering different approaches or techniques. It is also important to thoroughly understand the problem and any relevant background information before attempting to solve it.