Open problems in continued fractions

• I
  • Thread starter TeethWhitener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, a recent paper published in Nature discusses the use of machine learning to generate continued fraction expressions for fundamental constants. The authors have also created a website for this project and have posted open problems for others to attempt to solve. The supplementary information for the paper includes proofs for some previously open conjectures, which may be within the abilities of talented individuals in this forum. However, some of the patterns in these continued fractions are not immediately obvious and may require recursion formulas to prove.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
New Nature paper by Raayoni et al. contains a number of new conjectures on continued fractions whose proofs might be within reach of the members of this forum
A paper out today in Nature might interest some folks in this forum:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03229-4
Permanent citation: Nature volume 590, pages67–73(2021)

The authors used machine learning to generate a large number of continued fraction expressions for fundamental constants such as ##\pi##, ##e##, ##\zeta(3)##, and Catalan's constant. Several of these expressions were already known, but many are still unproven. The website for the project is here:
http://www.ramanujanmachine.com/
and they've posted many of the open problems here:
http://www.ramanujanmachine.com/results/
The supplementary info for the Nature article gives a few proofs of (formerly) open conjectures, and many of these seem well within the ability of a sharp undergrad--though still well outside my own abilities. :wink: In some cases, the proofs employ nothing more complicated than finding the right special function identities in a math handbook. I've seen how talented some of this forum's members are, so I thought many of you might be interested at taking a crack at some of these open conjectures. Best of luck!

Likes Useful nucleus, jedishrfu and jim mcnamara
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is nice. I really like the discovery and team idea behind the website although what usually happens is that multiple people discover the same thing and then it's the first one to get in there and the others get discouraged as they get beat to the punch each time. (aka wack-a-mole)

Perhaps a better course would be to have a contest with the discoverers only selecting the best name for the newly discovered identity.

I once thought of a math game where one student would use known identities to create a complex identity and for others to prove it. Of course, there are two sides to the coin in that mistakes made in creating it will cause issues in reducing it down but programming can fix anything (said with a wonky smile) :-?

The pattern of some of these is not obvious to me:
CONJECTURES.png

Likes jedishrfu
How do you attack these types of fractions to prove them?

Do you start with a known solution and then do some magic on both sides to transform them into the one you’re proving?

or do you have to go back to the ##a_n## and ##b_n## generating expressions?

jedishrfu said:
How do you attack these types of fractions to prove them?
There are normally repetitions which allow a recursion formula. My first thought was:
If Euler didn't mention them, then they are either too complicated or not interesting at all.

1. What are continued fractions?

Continued fractions are a type of mathematical representation of a number, where the number is expressed as a sequence of fractions. The fractions in the sequence are called "partial quotients" and they are added together to approximate the original number.

2. What are some real-world applications of continued fractions?

Continued fractions have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in signal processing, cryptography, and even in the design of efficient algorithms for solving mathematical problems.

3. What are some open problems in continued fractions?

One open problem in continued fractions is the convergence of certain types of continued fractions, such as those with irrational coefficients. Another open problem is the characterization of the set of numbers that can be represented by finite continued fractions.

4. How are continued fractions related to other mathematical concepts?

Continued fractions are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as rational approximations, Diophantine equations, and number theory. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as geometry and combinatorics.

5. How do continued fractions differ from decimal representations?

Continued fractions and decimal representations are two different ways of representing numbers. While decimal representations use base 10 and have a finite number of digits, continued fractions can represent any number and have an infinite number of terms. Continued fractions also have unique properties, such as being able to represent irrational numbers exactly.