Optical phenomena with colliding river rocks

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of triboluminescence in river rocks while red-necking in Auburn with friends. The rocks exhibited the phenomenon when thrown on the ground, emitting a white or slightly bluish light. The cause of this is believed to be the excitation and subsequent return of electrons, which ionize the surrounding air and emit light. However, there is still some uncertainty about the exact mechanism behind this phenomenon.
flatmaster
Today, I was red-necking it up with some friends in Auburn at the nearby forest. We found an open area on a decent sized creek that was filled with mostly less-than-fist-sized river rock.

After dark, we noticed that when a rock was thrown to the ground (on the other rocks), a small spirt of light would appear. It appeared mostly white, but was perhaps slightly bluish.

I know little about geology, but the rocks were of both light color, and consistent in color.

What's going on here?

Science news on Phys.org
That's what I figured. Somehow, an electron gets excited. As the electron returns to a lower state, It ionizes the surrounding air. This ionized air then emits the light.

So there's not much better than that? Sounds like a lot of hand-waving.

I could be wrong, but I think that an electron returning to a lower state does not ionize anything. Rather, the electron emits a photon while returning to a "lower state"

Related to Optical phenomena with colliding river rocks

1. What are optical phenomena with colliding river rocks?

Optical phenomena with colliding river rocks refer to the unique visual effects that can be observed when rocks in a river collide with each other. These effects are caused by the interaction of light with the water and the rocks, and can range from shimmering reflections to colorful refractions.

2. How do these optical phenomena occur?

When two rocks collide in a river, they create ripples and disturbances in the water. These disturbances can cause light to be refracted and reflected in different ways, creating the optical phenomena. Additionally, the composition and texture of the rocks can also play a role in the visual effects observed.

3. What factors affect the intensity of these optical phenomena?

The intensity of optical phenomena with colliding river rocks can be affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence of light, the speed and force of the colliding rocks, the depth and clarity of the water, and the position of the observer relative to the rocks.

4. Are these optical phenomena purely aesthetic or do they serve a purpose?

While these optical phenomena are certainly visually appealing, they also serve a purpose in the ecosystem. The ripples and disturbances created by colliding river rocks can help to oxygenate the water and provide a habitat for aquatic organisms.

5. How can these optical phenomena be studied and measured?

There are various methods for studying and measuring optical phenomena with colliding river rocks. These can include using specialized equipment such as polarizers and spectrometers, conducting experiments in controlled environments, and analyzing data from observations and recordings of the phenomena.