Optics Experiment involving transmission through a gel and a sphere

In summary: Okay, that is interesting. Assuming we place the detector at a position before the focal point and spherical aberration is essentially negligible(as you mentioned), would the intensity of the light on the detector(from different rays) be inversely proportional to path length within the solid sphere?Yes, this is what I was thinking. Yes, this is what I was thinking.
blizzardof96
Assume you have the following scenario:

Light begins traveling through a gel of index of refraction n=1.34 in a straight line along the x axis. It is then incident on a solid sphere(n=1.36) of radius R in 3-space. Upon transmittance, the light again travels through the gel(n=1.36) and finally back into air(planar boundary) where it is incident on a detector.

Is it safe to assume that the further light is from the centre of the sphere, the longer it will take for light to hit the detector(due to spherical aberration)? My assumption is that due to spherical aberration, refraction is greater at the edge of the sphere and the light therefore travels a longer distance. By d=vt, it would also imply a greater amount of time before hitting the detector. My intuition suggests that light incident on the centre of the sphere will not refract(theta=0) and therefore takes path of least time(a straight line). Are these assumptions correct?

Science news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the light passes through the sphere, which is transparent.
I thought the operation of a dielectric lens was that rays near the centre are delayed relative to the edge. The spherical aberration is perhaps just a small error in the basic operation.
I also notice that the gel seems to weaken the focussing action greatly, and with the very long focal length then obtaining, I think spherical aberration will be small.
I presume the detector is placed at the focal distance.

tech99 said:
I am assuming that the light passes through the sphere, which is transparent.
I thought the operation of a dielectric lens was that rays near the centre are delayed relative to the edge. The spherical aberration is perhaps just a small error in the basic operation.
I also notice that the gel seems to weaken the focussing action greatly, and with the very long focal length then obtaining, I think spherical aberration will be small.
I presume the detector is placed at the focal distance.

You are correct about the focal length. I calculated it to be 68R suggesting a weaker focusing action. Can you explain why you believe that rays near the centre are delayed relative to the edge?

blizzardof96 said:
You are correct about the focal length. I calculated it to be 68R suggesting a weaker focusing action. Can you explain why you believe that rays near the centre are delayed relative to the edge?
Consider the case of a thin dielectric lens and let's take the case where there is a point source at its focus. We know that in geometrical optics the lens will form a parallel beam. To do this, the lens synthesizes an equi-phase wavefront across its aperture. A ray traveling via the edge of the lens is delayed by the extra distance travelled, so that a ray passing through the centre must be delayed by the dielectric by the same amount.
To return to the original question, I suppose that if the detector is placed at the focus, then (excluding spherical aberration), all ray paths have the same delay. The question is perhaps, where do we place the detector when we have strong aberration?

tech99 said:
Consider the case of a thin dielectric lens and let's take the case where there is a point source at its focus. We know that in geometrical optics the lens will form a parallel beam. To do this, the lens synthesizes an equi-phase wavefront across its aperture. A ray traveling via the edge of the lens is delayed by the extra distance travelled, so that a ray passing through the centre must be delayed by the dielectric by the same amount.
To return to the original question, I suppose that if the detector is placed at the focus, then (excluding spherical aberration), all ray paths have the same delay. The question is perhaps, where do we place the detector when we have strong aberration?

Okay, that is interesting. Assuming we place the detector at a position before the focal point and spherical aberration is essentially negligible(as you mentioned), would the intensity of the light on the detector(from different rays) be inversely proportional to path length within the solid sphere?

1. How does the gel affect the transmission of light through the sphere?

The gel acts as a medium through which the light passes before reaching the sphere. It can alter the direction, intensity, and polarization of the light, depending on its physical properties.

2. What factors can impact the results of the optics experiment?

Some factors that can affect the results of the experiment include the composition and thickness of the gel, the refractive index of the gel and sphere, the angle of incidence of the light, and the wavelength of the light used.

3. What is the purpose of using a gel in this experiment?

The gel serves as a model for biological tissues, which have similar optical properties. By studying how light behaves when passing through the gel and sphere, we can gain insights into how light behaves when passing through biological materials.

4. Can this experiment be used to study the scattering of light?

Yes, this experiment can be used to study the scattering of light. The gel and sphere act as scatterers, and by analyzing the transmitted light, we can gather information about the scattering properties of the materials.

5. How can this experiment be applied in real-world scenarios?

This experiment can have various applications, such as in the field of biomedical optics, where it can be used to understand how light interacts with biological tissues. It can also be used in material science to study the optical properties of different materials and how they can be manipulated for various purposes.