Optics:Plane mirror and inverted image

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a plane mirror or a group of plane mirrors forming an inverted image. The concept of "lateral inversion" is also mentioned, which refers to the swapping of right and left sides in a mirror reflection. The speaker suggests trying a mirror on the ground to observe the effects of lateral inversion. Ultimately, it is stated that the question about an upside-down image was asked and the speaker encourages the listener to think about it and try the mirror test.
shihab-kol
So,does a plane mirror(or a group of plane mirrors) ever form an inverted i.e. upside down image ?
According to my own understanding, no.
But in our home work this question was asked.
So, is it possible??

Science news on Phys.org
'Lateral' inversion is called that because of the geometry of the images in a mirror. If you lay a mirror on the ground and look at the reflection of a tree, in the distance, what will it look like? Draw a circle with an arrow pointing tangentially in a clockwise direction around the circle, how does it look in the mirror, whether it's next to your face or on the other side of the room, looking obliquely through the mirror? Clockwise or anticlockwise?

Right and left sides will swap in the reflection but I am asking about upside down .
Thats what they asked.

shihab-kol said:
Right and left sides will swap in the reflection but I am asking about upside down .
Thats what they asked.
And what did I answer? You need to do some thinking. Did you try the mirror on the floor test?

1. How do plane mirrors create inverted images?

Plane mirrors create inverted images by reflecting light rays at the same angle that they strike the mirror. This causes the reflected image to appear to be behind the mirror, resulting in an inverted image.

2. Are the images created by plane mirrors always inverted?

Yes, the images created by plane mirrors are always inverted as long as the object is placed in front of the mirror. This is due to the reflection of light rays at the same angle as they strike the mirror.

3. Can the size of the inverted image be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the mirror?

Yes, the size of the inverted image can be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the mirror. The farther the object is from the mirror, the smaller the inverted image will appear.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection in a plane mirror?

The angle of incidence and the angle of reflection in a plane mirror are always equal. This is known as the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

5. Can a plane mirror create a real image?

No, a plane mirror can only create virtual images, which are images that appear to be behind the mirror and cannot be projected onto a screen. Real images are created by concave and convex mirrors, which have a curved surface.