Optimizing Mortgage Payoff Strategies: The Math Behind HELOC and Refinancing

• Thread starter dtevol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mortgage
In summary, the conversation discusses different strategies for paying off a mortgage using net monthly income and a HELOC. The first strategy involves refinancing into a traditional HELOC with a variable interest rate, while the second strategy involves keeping the first mortgage and using a HELOC to pay it off in chunks. The conversation also mentions resources for understanding and simulating these strategies, and a suggestion to use Excel for budgeting.
dtevol
First, I wanted to thank you for reading this thread. I'd also like to apologize up front and let you know that I am a complete novice and bow at the feet of the people who both read and respond in this forum. I've been searching for the answer to my question (more on that further down) and felt that if I were to find the answer, then this would be the place to ask (should this go into the programming bords, mods, please feel free to move it over there:cool: ) . Here's my dilemma:

There are a number of mortgage payoff companies out there where people use their net spendable monthly income to pay down and eventually off, their primary mortgage. These strategies work in two ways. The first is to refinance a mortgage into a traditional "Home Equity Line of Credit" (HELOC) where the interest charged is variable.

For a brief online presentation of how and why this works, check out: http://www.homeownershipaccelerator.net/data/Movies/5-Min-Movie/player.html"
For an example of this check out an online simulator:
http://www.homeownershipaccelerator.net/home_loans/cmghome/calculator.html"

The second strategy is to keep your first mortgage in place and take out a HELOC. You can use the funds from the HELOC to pay off your mortgage in chunks by using the mortgage like you would a regular checking account. This can be done with a HELOC because that kind of loan is revolving and can be both paid down and borrowed against (like a credit card).

I'd like to know the math behind both of these strategies so that I can build my own program to budget my own mortgage accordingly. Especially what the formulas would be showing both stable and variable interest rate environments. I don't work for any of these companies (thankfully) that offer these kinds of programs.

THANKS in advance. I truly appreciate the help!
Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can do this sort of thing fairly easily in Excel.
Just make one row for each month (for the next 20years or so!), then columns for amount remaining, total paid that month, amount of interest paid, capitial paid off etc.
Then you can play with changes in interest rates and amount paid to see what effect it has.

That way you don't need any complex asset value type equations.

Related to Optimizing Mortgage Payoff Strategies: The Math Behind HELOC and Refinancing

1. What is a mortgage payoff equation?

A mortgage payoff equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the total amount of money needed to pay off a mortgage loan, including interest and any other fees.

2. How is a mortgage payoff equation calculated?

To calculate a mortgage payoff equation, you need to know the loan amount, interest rate, and term of the loan. These variables are then plugged into the formula to determine the total amount needed to pay off the mortgage.

3. Can a mortgage payoff equation change over time?

Yes, a mortgage payoff equation can change over time if the interest rate or loan amount changes. Additionally, if the borrower makes extra payments or refinances the loan, the payoff equation will also change.

4. Can a mortgage payoff equation be used to determine monthly payments?

No, a mortgage payoff equation is used to calculate the total amount needed to pay off a mortgage, not the monthly payments. To determine monthly payments, a separate formula, known as an amortization schedule, is used.

5. Are there any limitations to using a mortgage payoff equation?

Yes, a mortgage payoff equation is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately reflect the actual amount needed to pay off a mortgage. Factors such as changes in interest rates, late fees, and other charges may affect the final payoff amount.