Optimizing permutations of hero traits in a computer game

In summary, the conversation discusses a game where heroes have abilities that can be raised through banner cards and leveling up. The banner cards and heroes do not have a perfect match, leading to the question of using optimization to solve this problem. The setup includes multiple heroes and banner cards with different abilities, and the goal is to find the maximum number of ability matches between them. The conversation also mentions a potential approach using an ##n-##dimensional discrete optimization problem.
liquidFuzz
TL;DR Summary
Trying to optimize perk cards in a computer game
I have a game where heroes have a set of traits, or abilities. The level of the abilities are raised in two ways, by banner cards and/or by leveling the hero. The Banner cards and heroes don't match perfectly, rather a banner card can match 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) abilities of the heroes abilities. Being... me, i wrote some lines of code that iterated trough the possible permutations to find the optimal permutation in terms of maximizing the ability outcome for the heroes.

Now I wonder if there is a way of using optimization to solve similar problems.
The setup is as follows,
Hero 1 : A, D, F, R
Hero 2 : B,D,E,S
Hero 3 : A,E,R,T
Etc..

Banner Card 1 : A,B,C,D
Banner card 2 : A,F,R,E
etc...

Edit, I'm interested in optimization in terms of maximum number ability matching between heroes and banner cards.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I still don't understand exactly what your optimization goal is, just to try to use as many cards as possible? Can you only level up each ability once or something?

This sounds like an ##n-##dimensional discrete optimization problem. I'm sure there are algorithms for it once you set up your problem rigorously. I assume you have to find a closest lattice point to an edge of an irregular polyhedron. One possibility that comes to mind is to solve the corresponding continuous linear optimization problem and determine the nearest lattice point from the solution.

1. How do you determine which hero traits to prioritize in a computer game?

There are a few factors that can be considered when determining which hero traits to prioritize. These include the game's overall balance, player feedback, and the specific goals and mechanics of the game. It's important to strike a balance between making the game challenging and enjoyable for players while also ensuring that all traits are useful and contribute to the overall gameplay experience.

2. How do you optimize the permutations of hero traits in a computer game?

Optimizing the permutations of hero traits involves carefully considering how each trait interacts with one another and how they affect gameplay. This can involve playtesting, gathering data, and making adjustments to ensure that the traits are balanced and offer a variety of viable options for players to choose from.

3. How do you handle the potential for overpowered combinations of hero traits?

One way to handle overpowered combinations of hero traits is to limit the number of traits a player can choose for their hero. This can prevent players from combining too many powerful traits and becoming too dominant in the game. Additionally, regularly monitoring and adjusting the traits can help prevent any one combination from becoming too overpowered.

4. How do you ensure that all hero traits are useful and balanced?

To ensure that all hero traits are useful and balanced, it's important to gather feedback from players and regularly analyze data on how the traits are being used in gameplay. This can help identify any traits that are underpowered or overpowered and make necessary adjustments. Additionally, playtesting and carefully considering the interactions between traits can also help balance them.

5. How do you balance the different playstyles and preferences of players when optimizing hero traits?

Balancing different playstyles and preferences of players can be a challenge, but it's important to consider all types of players when optimizing hero traits. This can involve offering a variety of traits that cater to different playstyles and regularly gathering feedback from players to make adjustments. It's also important to keep in mind that not all players will have the same preferences and to strive for overall balance rather than catering to one specific playstyle.