Optimizing Superposition of Laser Beams Using Polarizing Beam Splitters

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to superpose two laser beams to create a beat frequency. The speaker explains their design for the system and the use of a polarizing beam splitter, which results in orthogonal electric fields. The solution is to use a non-polarizing, 50/50 beam splitter and adjust the beams' polarization or use a half-wave plate and a PBS to rotate the polarization to 45 degrees before entering the second PBS.
cks
I want to superpose two laser beams to create the beat frequency.

I design the system to be like this .

Two laser beams come from A and B meet at the center of the PBS, so that two laser beams going out to C and D. I tune the laser beams A and B such that the laser output at C and D superimpose. In mathematical terms.

E1=Aexp[i(k1x-w1t)]
E2=Bexp{i(k2x-w2t)]

So, the superimposed state is

E=E1+E2.

My problem is, I use a polarizing beam splitter. so the output laser beam have electric field that are orthogonal to each other. It'd be nice if I can get parallel E field so that the superposition would be much better.

How can I do that. How can I make the two orthogonal electric field to be parallel to each other?

Attachments

• Clipboard2.jpg
    Clipboard2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a non-polarizing, 50/50 beam splitter. And adjust the beams so that they have the same polarization.

I have found the solutions.

Just put a half-wave plate and a PBS after the PBS.

So the wave plate rotates the polarization to be at 45 degrees before going into the 2nd PBS? Nice.

1. What is the concept of superposition of two E fields?

The superposition of two E fields is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states that when two or more electric fields are present in the same space, the total electric field at any point is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point.

2. How does superposition affect the strength and direction of the resulting electric field?

The strength and direction of the resulting electric field are determined by the magnitude and direction of the individual electric fields that are superimposed. If the fields are in the same direction, they will add together and create a stronger field. If they are in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out and the resulting field will be weaker or even zero.

3. Can superposition only be applied to two E fields, or can it be extended to multiple fields?

Superposition can be applied to any number of electric fields, not just two. This means that if there are multiple electric sources present in the same space, their individual fields can be added together to find the total electric field at any point.

4. How is superposition of two E fields related to the principle of linearity?

The principle of linearity states that the response of a system to a sum of inputs is equal to the sum of the individual responses to each input. This is directly related to the concept of superposition of two E fields, as the total electric field is equal to the sum of the individual electric fields at any point in space.

5. What are some real-life applications of superposition of two E fields?

The superposition of two E fields is a fundamental principle in understanding and designing various electronic devices, such as antennas, capacitors, and transistors. It is also used in electromagnetic imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and in the study of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.