Organic Chemistry: Alkyne Synthesis and Addition Homework Solution

• Thread starter romantichero7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction involving propyne, sodium amide, hydrogenation, bromine, methanol, and hydroboration-oxidation. The goal is to add a functional group of an aldehyde with (E) stereochemistry to a carbon atom. The suggested approach is to start with propyne and use sodium amide and hydrogenation to add an aldehyde group, followed by bromine and methanol for anti addition and hydroboration-oxidation for final product formation. The question is about how to properly add the carbons and achieve the desired functional group placement.
romantichero7

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/1tKcV5w.jpg?1

First we start with ____ and immediately add ____ followed by ____ work up to give the new functional group____ . Then treatment with ____ and ____ will give____ (syn / anti) addition to give the ____ (stereochemistry)____ (functional group) . The final product can be formed by adding____ .

Homework Equations

----

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to fill in the aragraph. My issue is mostly about how to add carbons in such a way that I can get the OH on that one carbon.. I thought about turning the alkyne into an alkynyl anion and then adding a ketone but that doesn't get the O in the right place. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
We start with propyne and immediately add sodium amide followed by hydrogenation work up to give the new functional group aldehyde. Then treatment with bromine and methanol will give anti addition to give the (E) stereochemistry (aldehyde). The final product can be formed by adding hydroboration-oxidation.

1. What is OChem and why is it important?

OChem, short for organic chemistry, is the branch of chemistry that deals with the structure, properties, and reactions of compounds containing carbon. It is important because carbon is the basis of all living organisms and understanding its chemistry helps us understand the world around us.

2. What is a synthesis problem in OChem?

A synthesis problem in OChem involves designing a step-by-step plan to create a desired organic compound from simpler starting materials. It requires knowledge of organic reactions, reagents, and techniques to successfully complete the synthesis.

3. What are some common challenges in solving OChem synthesis problems?

Some common challenges in solving OChem synthesis problems include identifying the correct starting materials, determining the correct sequence of reactions, and dealing with byproducts or side reactions. It also requires knowledge of functional group transformations and understanding the reactivity of different functional groups.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving OChem synthesis problems?

Improving your skills in solving OChem synthesis problems takes practice and understanding of organic reactions and mechanisms. It also helps to draw out reaction pathways and use retrosynthetic analysis, breaking down the desired compound into simpler starting materials. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of reagents and reaction conditions can also be helpful.

5. Are there any resources available for practicing OChem synthesis problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for practicing OChem synthesis problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems with solutions. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or professor. Additionally, practicing with real-life examples and applying concepts to practical situations can also improve skills in solving synthesis problems.