Organic chemistry hybridization and bond angles

In summary, the hybridization of atoms A, B, and C in the molecule is sp3, sp2, and sp3 respectively. The bond angles around them are greater than 109.5 degrees, less than 120 degrees, and less than 109.5 degrees respectively.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-27_7-20-46.png

Determine the hybridization of the atoms labeled A, B and C in the molecule and the bond angles
around them.

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution

A. Normally, I would say it is sp3 for oxygen since there are 4 groups attached to it including the lone pairs. However because it is attached to an sp2 carbon; the lone pair could de-localize and the charge spread. Thus I would think the O's hybridization is actually sp2. Also, I would say the bond angles are less than 109.5 (I don't know if there is an actual or absolute value) because a tetrahedral arrangement has this bond angle but the lone pairs push the bond angles closer together than a tetrahedral bond angle?

B. Since it is bonded to 3 groups including it's lone pair, and has a double bond, I would say sp2? Bond angle less than 120 degrees since it is bent but greater than 109.5 because it's not tetrahedral?

C. Sp3 since the N is attached to 4 groups including it's lone electrons and is not attached to an sp2 carbon which could de-localize any charges. Bond angles would be 109.5 because it is in a tetrahedral arrangement?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kirsten_2009 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 78300

Determine the hybridization of the atoms labeled A, B and C in the molecule and the bond angles
around them.

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution

A. Normally, I would say it is sp3 for oxygen since there are 4 groups attached to it including the lone pairs. However because it is attached to an sp2 carbon; the lone pair could de-localize and the charge spread. Thus I would think the O's hybridization is actually sp2. Also, I would say the bond angles are less than 109.5 (I don't know if there is an actual or absolute value) because a tetrahedral arrangement has this bond angle but the lone pairs push the bond angles closer together than a tetrahedral bond angle?

B. Since it is bonded to 3 groups including it's lone pair, and has a double bond, I would say sp2? Bond angle less than 120 degrees since it is bent but greater than 109.5 because it's not tetrahedral?

C. Sp3 since the N is attached to 4 groups including it's lone electrons and is not attached to an sp2 carbon which could de-localize any charges. Bond angles would be 109.5 because it is in a tetrahedral arrangement?

Thanks in advance for the help.

For atoms in the first complete row, count up the number of bonding atoms and lone pairs. This will tell you what the hybridization is.

4: sp^3; 3: sp^2, 2: sp

A: two lone pairs, and two bonded atoms. 4 => sp3 I can see how you might think that there is de-localization between the aryl ring and the O, but O's valence is filled, it cannot have a double bond going to it. C-O-C bond angle > 109.5 degrees (lone pairs on oxygen repel each other and the bonding pairs)

B: one lone pair, two bonded atoms. 3 => sp2 N-N-C bond angle < 120 degrees (lone pair repels the bonding pairs)

C:eek:ne lone pair, three bonded atoms 4 => sp3. C-N-C bond angles < 109.5 degrees (lone pair repels the bonding pairs)

1. What is hybridization in organic chemistry?

Hybridization is a concept used to describe the bonding of atoms in molecules. It involves the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals that have different shapes and energies than the original atomic orbitals.

2. How is hybridization determined in organic molecules?

Hybridization is determined by the number of sigma bonds and lone pairs of electrons around an atom. For example, an atom with four sigma bonds and no lone pairs is sp3 hybridized, while an atom with three sigma bonds and one lone pair is sp2 hybridized.

3. What is the relationship between hybridization and bond angles?

The type of hybridization in a molecule affects the bond angles between atoms. For example, molecules with sp3 hybridization have bond angles of 109.5 degrees, while molecules with sp2 hybridization have bond angles of 120 degrees.

4. How does hybridization affect molecular geometry?

Hybridization plays a crucial role in determining the molecular geometry of a molecule. The type of hybridization and bond angles determine the shape of the molecule, which in turn affects its physical and chemical properties.

5. Can hybridization change in a molecule?

Yes, hybridization can change in a molecule depending on the atoms and their bonding partners. For example, carbon can have different hybridizations in different molecules, such as sp3 in methane and sp2 in ethene.