Organic chemistry II questions

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem set that the student is having trouble with. The problem set involves questions that the students have never seen before, and the instructor's teaching methods are not helping them to solve the problems. The student is asking for hints on how to approach each question, and the conversation also mentions some slight errors in the questions. The questions involve reactions and transformations of proteins and organic compounds. The conversation ends with a question about the understanding of certain reagents used in the problem set.
Intr3pid

Homework Statement

please check PDF

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt this problem set. The instructor had this insane idea that if he gave us questions that we've never seen/dealt with before that he'd be doing a better job. problem is that nobody knows how to attempt these questions. I'm not trying to get anyone to do my problems for me, but can u guys give me hints on how to attempt each question? I'm really puzzled and lost.

thank you for your help

Attachments

• CHEM 282 ASSIGNMENT NO 3.pdf
    123.2 KB · Views: 280
Physics news on Phys.org
1) What is the product formed when the protein is reacted with the 2,4-dinitrofluorobenzene? What would happen if that product were hydrolyzed with HCl? What would you see? There is a slight error in the problem. The individual amino acids shown after hydrolysis show the group HN- instead of the correct H2N- funtionality.

2) Approach this problem by doing a retrosynthetic analysis. What do you think the last reaction was to form this product? What were the reactants for that transformation and how were they formed?

3) Again do a retrosynthetic analysis. The product has the same number of carbons as the starting material but no double bond and two hydroxyls. What transformation(s) do you know that convert double bonds to diols? What process(es) will cause the scission of the carbon bond and produce diols?

4) Do you understand the reagents employed? (PCC, DMS, O3, CF3CO3H, etc...)

!

As a fellow scientist, I understand the frustration and confusion you may be feeling when faced with new and challenging problems. However, I believe that your instructor's approach may have a purpose behind it - to push you to think critically and independently. Organic chemistry is a subject that requires a lot of practice and problem-solving skills. Here are some general tips that may help you approach these questions:

1. Start by understanding the question: Read the question carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Pay attention to key words and phrases, and try to break down the question into smaller parts.

2. Review your notes and textbook: Before attempting the questions, review the relevant material from your class notes and textbook. This will help refresh your memory and provide you with the necessary background knowledge.

3. Identify the key concepts: Identify the main concepts and principles that are relevant to the question. This will help you focus your thinking and approach the problem more systematically.

4. Draw diagrams and structures: Organic chemistry problems often involve drawing molecules and structures. Make sure you have a clear understanding of how to draw these and use them to help you visualize the problem.

5. Work through examples: If your textbook or notes have examples of similar problems, work through them first to get a better understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.

6. Use problem-solving strategies: There are many problem-solving strategies you can use, such as working backwards, making a table, or using trial and error. Find the strategy that works best for you and apply it to the problem.

7. Don't be afraid to ask for help: If you're still stuck, don't hesitate to ask your instructor or classmates for help. Sometimes discussing the problem with others can help you see it from a different perspective and find a solution.

Remember, it's normal to feel puzzled and lost when faced with new and challenging problems. But with practice and perseverance, you can develop the necessary skills to tackle them successfully. Good luck!

Related to Organic chemistry II questions

1. What is the difference between organic chemistry I and organic chemistry II?

Organic chemistry I typically covers the basics of organic chemistry, such as nomenclature, bonding, and functional groups. Organic chemistry II builds upon these concepts and delves into more complex topics, such as reaction mechanisms, stereochemistry, and synthesis.

2. What are the major topics covered in organic chemistry II?

Some of the major topics covered in organic chemistry II include reaction mechanisms, spectroscopy, stereochemistry, and organometallic chemistry.

3. How can I improve my understanding of reaction mechanisms in organic chemistry II?

One way to improve your understanding of reaction mechanisms is to practice drawing them out and understanding the steps involved in the reaction. Additionally, understanding the role of functional groups and electron pushing can also help in understanding reaction mechanisms.

4. What is the best way to study for organic chemistry II exams?

Studying for organic chemistry II exams can be challenging, but some effective strategies include practicing problems, reviewing notes and lecture materials, and creating concept maps or study guides to organize the information. It is also helpful to seek clarification from the instructor or a tutor if needed.

5. How does organic chemistry II relate to other branches of chemistry?

Organic chemistry II is closely related to other branches of chemistry, such as biochemistry, physical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry. It provides a foundation for understanding the properties and reactions of organic compounds, which are essential in many other fields, including medicine, materials science, and environmental science.