Organic Chemistry Williamson Synthesis of an Ether

In summary, the lab used para-chlorobenzyl chloride and Sodium + 1-propanol to produce a chemical formula of C10H13OCL, also known as a Benzyl ether. The IUPAC name for this compound is para-chloro-benzyl-propoxy. To prepare the same product without using the same initial starting materials, the Williamson Ether synthesis can be used. This involves replacing the halide leaving group with a different one, but not changing the metal in the alkoxide. This approach is expected to be cheaper cost-wise and potentially yield a higher yield based on the physical properties of the reactants. It is recommended to refer to the lecture or text for more information on this concept.
imdapolak
" Write an alternate reaction that can be used to prepare the same product that we got in our lab ( changing the metal in the alkoxide or halide leaving group is not sufficient.) Explain the reaction you used, is it expected to be cheaper cost wise, and or produce a higher yield, based on the physical properties of the reactants."
For the lab starting material we used para-chlorobenzyl chloride formula (C7H6Cl2) reacted with Sodium ( Na) + 1-propanol to get a chemical formula of C10H13OCL, which I am struggling to name but the prof suggested to just call it a Benzyl ether. My guess at the IUPAC name is para-chloro-benzyl-propoxy. The benzene ring has a cl at the para position, and at the meta there is a ch2-O-Ch2-Ch2-Ch3. I wrote out the Sn2 reaction for this problem but I am not sure how to write an alternate reaction to get the same product without using the same initial starting materials. I have been looking up other starting material compounds like benzyl chloride and cinnamyl chloride but I am not sure how to get chlorine in the para position, is there another reaction step I have to add to this? Any clarification on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated as my prof simply said "figure it out." Also, if anyone knows of a website that gives me the cost per mol of these starting materials that would be great, I am not sure how to look this up exactly.

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in HW help section but I'll give a hint.

Also you are overthinking the question. I doubt you're professor wants you to start completely from scratch (like benzene and propane). She just doesn't want you to change the Chloride to a Bromide or the Sodium to a Potassium (which is very trivial and doesn't serve to teach you anything about the Williamson Ether Synthesis).

Hopefully you've gone through this in lecture, or have heard of this concept before. If you haven't, now is a good time to read the page or two in your text about it. Its actually a lot simpler than it seems at first glance.

What is the 'jist' of the Williamson Ether synthesis?

Where in this 'jist' is the area of flexibility?

1. What is the Williamson synthesis?

The Williamson synthesis is a method used in organic chemistry to synthesize ethers from an alcohol and an alkyl halide. It involves the reaction of a deprotonated alcohol with an alkyl halide in the presence of a base, such as sodium hydroxide, to form an ether product.

2. What are the advantages of using the Williamson synthesis?

The Williamson synthesis is a versatile and efficient method for synthesizing ethers. It does not require the use of strong acids, which can be dangerous and difficult to handle, and it can produce a wide range of ether products with different functional groups. Additionally, the reaction is relatively fast and can be performed at room temperature.

3. Can the Williamson synthesis be used to make symmetrical and unsymmetrical ethers?

Yes, the Williamson synthesis can be used to make both symmetrical and unsymmetrical ethers. In the case of symmetrical ethers, the same alcohol is used on both sides of the reaction, while unsymmetrical ethers require two different alcohols.

4. What is the mechanism of the Williamson synthesis?

The Williamson synthesis follows an SN2 (nucleophilic substitution) mechanism. The deprotonated alcohol acts as a nucleophile, attacking the electrophilic carbon of the alkyl halide. This results in the displacement of the halide ion and the formation of the ether product.

5. Are there any limitations to the Williamson synthesis?

One limitation of the Williamson synthesis is that it is not suitable for the synthesis of tertiary ethers, as the SN2 mechanism is not favorable for tertiary carbons. Additionally, some functional groups, such as esters and ketones, may interfere with the reaction and prevent it from proceeding. In these cases, alternative methods, such as the Mitsunobu reaction, may be used to synthesize ethers.